Hiking map Central Thuringia with Erfurt
Hiking map Central Thuringia / Sheet 63 with Erfurt, Gotha, Arnstadt, Stadtilm and the "Drei Gleichen".
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-21
The Hiking Map Central Thüringen covers the areas around Erfurt, Gotha, Arnstadt, Stadtilm and Gräfenroda. Pictured are:
- the Gera valley from Gräfenroda to Erfurt
- the Thüringer Wald forest near Tambach-Dietharz
- the Ohratal dam and the Ohra- Apfelstädttal
Information on the sights of the historic old town of Erfurt, the old town and Friedenstein Castle of Gotha, the old town of Arnstadt and the „Drei Gleichen“ are available on the Rückseite.
|Info's||Walking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS compatible.|
|Maßstab||1 : 50 000|
The Drei Gleichen is the name for three medieval castles. They stand on mountains from nine kilometres south of Gotha to five kilometres northwest of Arnstadt. They are the:
- The Gleichen castle ruins near Wandersleben - from 1998 the Thüringer Schlösser und Gärten foundation took over their management.
- Mühlburg on a 375 m high spur of the Schlossleite üabove the village of Mühlberg. It is the oldest castle of the Drei Gleichen and the oldest preserved building in Thuringia. There is a museum and a restaurant on the castle grounds. The tower can be climbed during opening hours.
- The Wachsenburg is a medieval summit castle in the municipality of Holzhausen. Today it serves as an excursion guesthouse, since 1966 as a hotel and there is a small, privately run museum.
The Gera is an 85 km long right tributary of the Unstrut. It originates near Plaue from the Wild and the Tame Gera, both of which have their sources at Schneekopf near the municipality of Gehlberg. It flows through the Plaueschen Grund, deeply cut into the shell limestone. Before Arnstadt it forms a narrow valley. North of Ichtershausen it enters the city of Erfurt.
... is the capital of the Free State of Thuringia. It has a population of over 214,000, making it the largest city in Thuringia. The city was first mentioned in a document in 742 when Boniface established the bishopric of Erfurt. Ecclesiastically, Erfurt and the Eichsfeld region belonged to the Archbishopric of Mainz. With the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire in 1802, Erfurt became part of Prussia. In 1806, France occupied the city and incorporated it directly into Napoleon's administration. From 1815 to 1945 it was part of Prussia.
Sights worth seeing in Erfurt (selection):
- Erfurt Cathedral, Gothic Preacher's Church and Merchant's Church
- Krämerbrücke next to the cathedral is the most famous building in Erfurt. It is the longest completely built and inhabited bridge in Europe, spans the Gera at 120 m and is built with 32 houses.
- Erfurt has over 1600 registered cultural monuments and a well-preserved medieval town centre.
- Peterskirche was originally a Romanesque basilica with three naves. Used as a warehouse since the French period, it is to be restored as a church.
- Fish market with the Renaissance houses „Zum Roten Ochsen“, „Zum breiten Herd“ and „Zur güldenen Krone“
... is a district town and the administrative seat of the Ilm district and is located approx. 20 km south of Erfurt on the southern edge of the Thuringian basin at an altitude of 300 m. The river Gera flows through the town. The river Gera flows through the town. The foreland of the Thuringian Forest extends to the southern border of Arnstadt. With its first documented mention in 704, Arnstadt is the oldest town in Thuringia and one of the oldest towns in Germany outside the Roman settlement areas. It was the residence of the Counts of Schwarzburg until the 18th century.
Arnstadt is known as Bachstadt. Johann Sebastian Bach had his first job as organist at the new church from 1703-1707. His ancestors were also court, council or church musicians here. Arnstadt with its well-restored town centre is known as the gateway to the Thuringian Forest. Arnstadt claims to be the birthplace of the Thuringian Rostbratwurst.
Sights worth seeing in Arnstadt (selection) (selection):
- Castle Neideck was a moated castle and except for the castle tower it is now a ruin. In 1998/1999 the castle tower (65 m) was restored and is accessible.
- Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Kirche, the „New Church“, was built in 1676–1683 on the foundation remains of the St. Boniface Church, which burnt down in 1581, as a baroque hall building with a surrounding, three-storey gallery. Johann Sebastian Bach was the first organist here from 1703 to 1707. He was followed in office by his cousin Johann Ernst Bach.
- Evangelical Liebfrauenkirche, a building erected in the 12th and 13th centuries, is, along with Naumburg Cathedral, the most important church building in Thuringia during the transition from Romanesque to Gothic. It has a valuable interior.
- Townhouse Arnstadt, half-timbered house from 1582/1697 and factory building from 1903 are located at Pfarrhof 1 in the historic core of the Bach town of Arnstadt opposite the former early Gothic Franciscan monastery.
... is located in the Ilmkreis, around 30 km south of Erfurt in the valley of the Ilm on the northern foothills of the Thuringian Forest. the small town has a historic town centre with numerous old buildings as well as over 20 rural districts in the surrounding area.