Hiking Map Central Thuringian Forest
Hiking map Central Thuringian Forest / Upper Werra Valley - Sheet 58 with Suhl, Zella Mehlis, Meiningen, Schmalkalden, Masserberg, Oberhof and Breitungen
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-17
The hiking map Central Thüringen Forest shows the Werratal from Grimmelshausen to Breitungen, the Vessertal, the Schwarzatal and the Ilmtal as well as the International Hiking Trail Rennsteig. The areas around the towns of Suhl, Zella Mehlis, Meiningen, Schmalkalden, Oberhof, Masserberg, Themar, Henneberg and Wasungen are mapped. Information on the sights of the historic old towns, the Vessertal Biosphere Reserve, the Goethe Hiking Trail to Kickelhahn and the Oberhof sports facilities are available on the back page. Further information also in the following hiking maps:
WK 25 Oberhof mit Zelle-Mehlis
WK 25 Schmalkalden
WK 25 Masserberg
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Schleuse is a river about 34 km long in the northern district of Hildburghausen. It rises at the Groß Dreiherrenstein near the village of Frauenwald, flows first sideways into the Schönbrunn dam and reaches the Schönbrunn district of the town of Schleusingen. The lock then flows into the Ratscher reservoir. To the west, the river passes the town of Schleusingen and after another 8 km it flows into the Werra at the Veßra monastery.
The Hasel is a 26 km long tributary of the Werra, which takes in the Lauter and the Schwarza in the urban area of Suhl. Its source is in the Suhl district of Friedberg. It flows into the Werra at Einhausen.
Central Thüringer Wald
... is geographically divided into three areas:
A: Tambach-Oberhofer Thüringer Wald
The road from Tambach-Dietharz to Floh Seeligenthal is the north-western boundary of the area. The mountain ridge here reaches around 900 metres above sea level, is hardly interrupted by individual mountains and is the watershed between the Elbe and Weser rivers. The northern part is drained by the rivers Apfelstedt and Ohra. They flow into the Gera and Unstrut rivers. Three dams are located here. The streams on the south side drain into the Schmalkalde and Hasel. The Tambach-Oberhof Thuringian Forest is not interrupted by settlements and roads. The villages of Floh-Seeligenthal, Steinbach-Hallenberg and parts of it, and Zella-Mehlis lie on the southern edge. The Falkenstein lies in the Schmalwassergrund and is the most important rocky mountain in the Thuringian Forest.
The highest mountains are:
- the Schützenberg (904 m) and the Greifenberg (901 m) near Oberhof
- the Gebrannte Stein (897 m) near Zella-Mehlis
- the Donnershauk (894 m) near Oberschönau
B: Gehlberg Thüringer Forest
The BAB 71 Erfurt-Coburg and the L 3247 are the western boundary of the area. The A 71 passes under the mountain ridge with 3 tunnels, of which the Rennsteig tunnel is the longest road tunnel in Germany at 7,916 metres. This section of the Thuringian Forest has the three highest mountains of the entire low mountain range and other high peaks in the ridge area. Only the villages of Gehlberg and the districts of Vesser, Goldlauter-Heidersbach of Suhl lie in the forest area. In this section, the ridge with some volcanic porphyry cone mountains reaches almost 1000 m.
In äußerster Süden lies the Biosphärenreservat Vessertal. The names Schmiedefeld and Eisenberg recall the former ore mining. The north side of the forest area drains away to the Unstrut and Saale rivers via the Lütsche, the Wilde Gera and the Zahme Gera. The south-western flank drains into the Werra via the Lauter, Hasel, Erle Vesser and Schleuse.
The highest mountains are:
- the Große Beerberg (983 m)
- the Schneekopf (978 m)
- the Devil's Circle (967 m, Südgipfel)
- the Große Finsterberg (944 m)
C: Frauenwald-Neustädter Thüringer Wald
The southernmost part of the Thüringer Wald is bordered to the southeast by the Täler of the Schleuse and Neubrunn. The town of Neustadt am Rennsteig and the district of Gehren in Ilmenau form the border to the Thuringian Slate Mountains. Frauenwald and Stützerbach are located in the forest area. Only a few roads cut through the Thuringian Forest. The main ridge along the Rennsteig reaches 800 metres and above. The north-east is drained by the tributaries of the Ilm, the south-west by the Nahe, Schleuse, Gabel and Neubrunn. The Schleuse is dammed by the Schönbrunn dam.
The highest mountains are:
- the Kickelhahn (861 m)
- the Große Dreiherrenstein (838 m)
- the Lindenberg (749 m)
D: Course of the Werra from Veßra Monastery to Wernshausen
From Kloster Veßra in the district of Themar, the lock flows into the Werra from the right. The fan-shaped tributaries of the lock drain parts of the Thuringian Slate Mountains and, to an even greater extent, the Thuringian Forest. At times of high water, the lock brings larger volumes of water than the Werra. Before Themar, near the district of Grimmelshausen, there is a flood retention basin for the Werra. In emergency situations, it can impound 1.75 million m³. The A 71 crosses the river at Einhausen. After the bridge, the Hasel joins the Werra coming from Suhl and later reaches Meiningen. Here it is split into several arms and flood ditches. It flows around the historic old town of Meinigen and there are seven road and foot bridges over the main course of the river. The Werra then flows past the Dolmar mountain massif on the left and reaches the urban area of Schmalkalden at Wernhausen.
... is situated in the fränkishly shaped south of the Free State of Thüringen and stretches up the southern slope of the Thüringer Wald from 380 to 600 m in the valley of the Lauter and Hasel rivers. The independent town is surrounded by mountains between 650 and 983 metres high. In the north-east, the district reaches as far as the Rennsteig with the peaks of the Groß Beerberg (983 m) and the Schneekopf (978 m). Directories of the Fulda monastery mention the village for the first time in 900 and around 1100 the area belonged to the counts of Henneberg. The oldest ironworks in Suhl have been known since 1363. In 1553, ironmakers from Nuremberg and Augsburg settled here. In 1563 the Count of Henneberg granted guild privileges to the locksmiths and the tin makers.
Suhl became an office in the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815. With the industrialisation, important gun factories developed, companies of the entrepreneurs Sauer, Hänel, Simson and Walther were leading in Germany. The first, and thus the oldest, gun factory in Germany was founded in 1893, and the arms factory Ernst-Thauml;lmann-Werk and the Simson vehicle and equipment factory were the city's largest employers during the GDR era. Suhl only became part of the state of Thuringia in 1945 and became the district capital of the GDR in 1952. Since the beginning of 2014, Suhl has held the title of state-recognised resort“.
The 675 m high Domberg rises directly out of the centre of Suhl, the 760 m high Döllberg is to the south and the 745 m high Ringberg is to the north-east. A total of 9 out of 10 highest mountains in the Thüringer Wald are in the vicinity of Suhl.
- The Weapons Museum in the town centre is located in the historic Malzhaus, a 17th century half-timbered building. It shows the 600-year tradition of weapons manufacturing in Suhl.
- The Vehicle Museum in the Congress Centre has about 220 models of vehicle construction, especially motorbikes and mopeds of the brand „Simson“.
- The Town Church of St. Mary (1487–1491) was rebuilt after several fires in 1590, 1634 and 1753.
- The Waffenschmied monument on the market square from 1903 is the landmark of Suhl
- A timbered ensemble in the Heinrichs district with a town hall dating from 1657 (ground floor 1515)
- The Biosphärenreservat Vessertal belongs in parts to the district of Suhl.
... lies on the southern slope of the Thüringer Wald in the county of Hildburghausen and has 17 districts. Its name comes from the river Schleuse, which flows south of the town centre. The town itself lies on the Nahe. The town was first mentioned in a document in 1232, when the Count of Henneberg had Bertholdsburg Castle built. Schleusingen received its town charter in 1412 and its margrave charter in 1533. In the 16th century, Schleusingen experienced an economic boom due to the influx of glassmakers from the Hessian and Spessart regions. The rich wood resources in the mountainous hinterland were the basis for numerous glassworks and porcelain factories until the 19th century.
- The Schloss Bertholdsburg is located on the western edge of the old town über the confluence of the Erle and Nahe rivers and is administered by the Thüringer Schlösser und Gärten foundation. It is home to a natural history museum and a museum of local history. The 38-metre-high main tower, which dates from 1597, can be visited as an observation tower.
- The Teutsche Schule is an important half-timbered building in the Henneberg style dating from 1681 and stands on a sandstone base and is covered by a hipped gable roof. The building has been owned by the city since 2017.
- The Adlersberg (850 m)is lower than its neighbours to the north, but it towers over all the southern peaks by 200 – 300 metres. From 1884 to 1892, a 22-metre-high porphyry observation tower was built on the Platou. Extensive improvement measures took place in 1929 and 1971 to 1972.
... is a small country town in the district of Hildburghausen on the upper reaches of the Werra and in the foothills of the Thuringian Forest. The town was first mentioned in 796 and belonged to the tribal duchy of East Franconia during this time. The Hennebergs ruled from the 11th century onwards and were closely associated with the Veßra monastery.
Worth seeing in Themar are the town wall with well-preserved defence towers from the 15th century, the town hall from 1665, a half-timbered house from Henneberg-Franconia, and the market square with the listed town hall, built from 1706 to 1711.
... lies in the Werra valley on the eastern edge of the Rhön in the triangle of Thüringen, Bavaria and Hesse in the fränkisch geprägt Süden of the Free State of Thüringens. The first written record dates back to 982, concerning the royal estate of Emperor Otto II. The later ruling Hennebergs handed over the area to the Duchy of Saxony-Gotha. In 1680, the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen came into being and Meiningen developed into a royal seat. It became part of the state of Thuringia in 1920 and was the county seat of the Meiningen district in the Suhl district from 1952 to 1990. In 2003, it received a direct connection to the German highway network with the A 71.
- The Castle Elisabethenburg was until 1918 the residence castle of the Herzöge of Saxony-Meiningen. It is located on the northwestern edge of the old town in the castle park on the Werra River and today houses, in addition to a museum, the city archives and the Thüringische Staatsarchiv Meiningen, the music school „Max Reger“, the concert hall „Johannes Brahms“ in the former castle church, the city administration and the wedding rooms of the registry office.
- The Castle Landsberg is a former pleasure palace of the Herzöge of Saxony-Meiningen. It was built on the ruins of the castle Landeswehre from 1836 to 1840 and is located on the northern outskirts of the district town Meiningen on a mountain. Landsberg Castle is to be operated as a hotel.
- The City Church of Our Lady is a three-nave hall church with two towers on the south side of the market is the älteste building of the city and has several architectural styles due to the über tausendjährigen construction history. On the north side of the nave is the fountain with the statue of Emperor Henry II, who is said to have initiated the construction of the church in Meiningen in 1003.
- The numerous monuments of famous personalities from music and literature testify to a rich cultural history of the city. Among the timbered buildings worth seeing are the Büchnersche Hinterhaus from 1596 and the Hartungsche Haus with the "galeria ada". The Bachmann House is now a literature museum. The Meininger Theater, founded in 1831, is a four-division theater and offers chamber plays, musical theater, drama, ballet and puppet theater, as well as concerts.
... is a district of the county seat Meiningen and is located 10 km south of the city center directly on the border with Bavaria. High above the village rise on a rock cone the remains of the castle complex Henneburg. It was the ancestral seat of the counts of Henneberg. After the division of the county of Henneberg into three ancestral lines, the place and the castle lost their importance. After the extinction of the counts, the dominion came under Saxon administration in 1583. From 1680 it belonged to the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen. From 1945 it was in the border area and used only by the border troops. Since 1995, the ruins of Henneburg Castle have been owned by the Thüringer Schlösser und Gärten Foundation.
... is a town in the district of Schmalkalden-Meiningen and is located in the Haseltal valley on the southwest slope of the Thüringer Forest. The beginnings of the village are connected with the history of the present ruin Hallenburg. The settlement of the Hasel valley probably started in the 12th century and in 1303 the village was mentioned for the first time. However, there are older documented records of the Hallenburg. In 1228 Reginhard von Hallenberg is mentioned. The owners of the castle were subordinated to the Hennebergs from 1232. From 1619 to 1866 the village belonged to the Electorate of Hesse, then to Prussia (Province of Hesse-Nassau). Only 1945 it came to Thüringen.
On a 80 m high porphyry rock at the Arnsberg stands the castle ruin Hallenburg. It was first mentioned in a deed of donation in 1268 as castum Haldenberc.
On the castle hill is the local museum „Glockenhaus“, a half-timbered house with substructure from the Middle Ages. In it originated the metal craft museum.