The "Eisenach hiking map covers the areas around the villages of Marksuhl, Herleshausen, Hörschel, Etterwinden, Oberellen and Waldfisch. The LSG Nature Park Thuringian Forest and the nature reserve Wartburg - Hohe Sonne are shown. Information about sights from the old town Eisenach e.g. World Heritage Wartburg and über Rennsteig from Hörschel to Ruhlaer Häuschen are available on the Rückseite .
TK 25 W Ruhla and TK 25 W Bad Liebenstein / Brotterode
|Info's||Hiking map with bike paths, contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS compatible.|
|Scale||1 : 25 000|
The landmark of Eisenach is the far visible Wartburg. Since 1999 it belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 2009, the 30-millionth visitor was welcomed and in 2017, in the Luther Year, 459,000 visitors came to the Wartburg.
The castle was founded around 1067 by the first Thüringer landgrave Ludwig the Springer. Today's Wartburg was largely rebuilt in the 19th century with the inclusion of a few preserved parts at the behest of the Great Duke Carl Alexander of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach.
Popular hiking trails:
- Dragon Gorge with High Sun and Landgrave Gorge
- Werratalradweg, Thüringenweg and Pummpälzweg
- Distance hiking trail Eisenach-Budapest
The Drachenschlucht forms with the östlich neighboring Landgrafenschlucht and the Ludwigsklamm rising from the Johannistal much-visited hiking destinations, especially in the summer months. The southern access is located at the Hohen Sonne, a forest settlement of the Wartburg town of Eisenach. Its northern access is at the driveway to the Waldhaus Sängerwiese.
The Bachhaus in Eisenach is a museum dedicated to the composer Johann Sebastian Bach, who was born in the town. Approximately 250 original exhibits are displayed on 600 m sup2; of exhibition space. The core of the museum, which uses several buildings, is the approximately 550-year-old half-timbered house Frauenplan No. 21, which has been owned by the Leipzig New Bach Society since 1907.
The Lutherhaus is one of the oldest surviving half-timbered houses in Thuringia. Martin Luther lived here with the mayor's family Cotta during his school years from 1498 to 1501. From 2013 to 2015, the house was extensively renovated and reopened on 26 September 2015 as the new Luther House with a festive service and subsequent inauguration celebration. In 2017, on the occasion of the Reformation anniversary, the museum was able to set a new visitor record with around 71,000 visitors.
The Reutervilla on Reuterweg was the retirement home of the poet and writer Fritz Reuter. In addition to the still original furnishings and the numerous books and memorabilia, it shows the life and works of the Low German poet. The villa also houses a 6,000-strong academic library on the life and work of Richard Wagner.
The Automobile World Eisenach (AWE) is aautomobile museum about the 100-year tradition of automobile manufacturing in Eisenach. It began in 1896 with the Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach AG and continued through the DIXI, BMW, EMW and Wartburg factories until the start of production at the Opel plant in Eisenach in 1992. 30,000 visitors come to the museum every year.
The Eisenach City Palace on the north side of Eisenach's market square was the residence of the Great Dukes of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. Today, it houses the city council offices and, since 1931, the Thuringian Museum.
The memorial in the Goldener Löwe inn in Marienstraß commemorates the founding congress of the Social Democratic Workers' Party in 1869. The SDAP became the Social Democratic Party (SPD) in 1890.