Hiking map Grabfeld
Hiking map Grabfeld / sheet 67 with Eisfeld, Hildburghausen, Henneberg, Coburg, Römhild, Bad Rodach, Bad Colberg, Heldburg and Bad Königshofen.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-25
The Grabfeld hiking map shows the foothills of the Thuringian Forest with the towns of Eisfeld, Hildburghausen and Henneberg in the north and part of Coburg in the southeast. Centrally located are the towns of Römhild, Bad Rodach, Bad Colberg, Heldburg and Bad Königshofen on the Fränkische Saale. The back of the map contains tourist information from the Grabfeld region.
|Info's||Walking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible.|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Grabfeld is part of Franconia and lies on the border between Südthüringen and northern Bavaria. The landscape is flat, hilly, rarely mountainous and consists geologically of shell limestone and Keuper. The altitudes range from around 300 m to mountains of 650 m. The landscape is in the rain shadow of the Rhön. To the north is the Werra valley, to the south are the Mainfränkian plates and to the northwest the Rhön. The climate and soil conditions in the Grabfeld are favourable for agriculture and are used intensively for farming.
The name originated in the Eastern Frankish Empire. The Grabfeldgau is mentioned in a document from the year 813 as östliches and westliches Grabfeld. In the early Middle Ages, the western Grabfeld extended as far as Schweinfurt. The counts were the Popons, a side line of the Babenbergs. Later, parts of the area came to the Würzburg bishopric and to the Henneberg counts.
The Henneberger Land is a historical landscape designation that extends into modern times. Historically, it derives from the possessions of the Counts of Henneberg who once ruled the area (11th century to 1583). The parts of the Henneberg Land coincide with the heartland of the county. Ethnically, culturally and linguistically, this region is part of the Franconia region, which is divided between Thuringia, Bavaria and Hesse. Originally, Sonneberg, Coburg and large parts of the Grabfeld were part of it.
It lies between the Rhün in the west, the Thüringer Schiefergebirge in the east, the Thüringer Wald in the north and the Grabfeld in the south. Today it comprises the districts of Schmalkalden-Meiningen, the southern part of the Wartburg district around Bad Salzungen, southern parts of the Ilm district and the independent city of Suhl. The Henneberg dialect is spoken in large parts of the area.
... is the district town of the district of the same name in Thuringia and lies on the Werra. It was the residential town of the Duchy of Saxony-Hidburghausen until 1825. The Thuringian Forest is in the north and the Grave Field in the south. Hildburghausen was an early settlement around 900. Hilteburgehusin“ belonged to the counts of Henneberg until 1234. Then it changed hands to the diocese of Würzburg, in 1316 it was bought back again by the Hennebergs, in 1485 it was owned by the Wettins and from 1572 Hildburghausen fell to the Ernestine Dukes of Saxe-Coburg.
- The City Theatre was built in 1721 as a ballroom and in 1755 it was converted into a theatre. The first German drama school was established here in 1765. The theatre was restored in 1890/91 and 1976/78. In 2008, the theatre was reopened after renovation.
- On the Stadtberg, south of the city, there is an observation tower with a height of 15 m. It was built in 1882 and offers a good all-round view.
- The former Convent of Veßra lies on the outskirts of the village not far from where the lock flows into the Werra. The ruins of the monastery church of St. Mary, the most important Romanesque building in the Rhön and Grabfeld region, rise up in the approx. 6 ha monastery courtyard. The gate chapel, the cloister and a remnant of the cloister are located in the monastery area.
Since 1990, the former monastery complex has been the Hennebergische Museum Kloster Veßra, in which the buildings of the monastery and cathedral periods are combined with the rural residential, economic and communal buildings that were moved there to form an open-air museum.
... is located in the county of Hildburghausen, in the fränkisch geprprägten Süden Thüringens and lies in the southern foothills of the Thüringer Wald, west of the Thühringer Schiefergebirge and north of the Lange Berge. The elevation of the town on the Werra River is 430 to 530 m. The town appears in recorded history in 802 and 817 in a deed of gift to Fulda Monastery. It belonged to the county of Henneberg until its dissolution and to the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha until 1920. For many years, the main economic activity was the manufacture of dolls and toys. The porcelain industry was also of economic importance. After 1945, a branch of the VEB Carl-Zeiss-Jena was established to manufacture binoculars. The company „Feintechnik Eisfeld“ still produces razor blades today.r and from 1572, Hildburghausen fell to the Ernestine Dukes of Saxe-Coburg.
- The medieval Eisfeld Castle was built in the 13th century at the highest point of the town on the walls of an older fortification and connected to the town fortifications, which today only exist in remnants.
- The Trinity Church of St. Nicholas from 1535 is an important testimony to late Gothic architecture. The geläut consists of the large Egidius bell, cast in 1474, and the Banzer and the Mess, cast in 1581, both of which originate from the Banz monastery and came to Eisfeld around 1640.
... is a former residential town in the county of Hildburghausen and lies in the shelter of the Gleichberge mountains on the state border with Bavaria. The town is probably the oldest town in the Free State of Thuringia. It was first mentioned in 150 AD by Ptolemy as the Celtic oppidum of Bikourgon. The region around Römhild had already been permanently settled by people since around 2500 BC. The first written record is from 800 as a possession of the Fulda monastery. At that time Römhild belonged to the Fränkische Gau Grabfeld. The counts of Henneberg were the Gaugrafen. The town was granted market rights in 1498. In the early modern period, the economy was dominated by pottery, tanning, cloth-making and wine-growing. From 1838, basalt was mined on the Kleiner Gleichberg.
- On the Little Gleichberg, the remains of a Celtic oppidium are called a stone castle. Numerous settlement artefacts were found here during stone quarrying. The Kleine Gleichberg (641 m) and the Gro;en Gleichberg (679 m) are a geological twin – basalt cone mountain.
- The Schloss Glücksburg, built from 1465 to 1488 to move the residence from the castle on the Hartenberg to the city, was extended in 1491 and completed by 1535.
- The Steinsburg Museum is located in the district of Waldhaus near Römhild between the Gro;en and Kleinen Gleichberg and is a museum for prehistory and early history as well as an external branch of the Thüringisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege und Archäologie.
... is a town in the Heldburger Unterland in the county of Hildburghausen. With less than 500 inhabitants, it is the smallest town in Thuringia and lies on the upper reaches of the River Rodach. The entire historic town of Ummerstadt is a listed building. There are numerous individual monuments such as:
- the Rodachbrücke from 1565 a monument to the town's and traffic's history.
- the closed half-timbered ensemble of the old town.
- the market square with the historic town hall .
... is an independent town in the administrative district of Upper Franconia in the Free State of Bavaria and lies between the southern foothills of the Thuringian Forest, the Lange Bergen mountains, the Main valley and is flowed through by the Itz river. Coburg first appears in 1056 in a deed of donation to the Archbishop of Cologne. In 1331, Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian granted the town town charter and its own jurisdiction. From 1485 Coburg belonged to the Ernestine princes from the House of Wettin. The Duchy of Saxe-Coburg chose the town as its residence in 1586. From 1826 to 1918 it was the capital of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In 1920 it became part of the Free State of Bavaria.
- The Veste Coburg is a medieval castle converted into a fortress. It towers 160 m above the town. Its dimensions are 135 m x 260 m. The courtyard garden is located on the slope of the castle hill. From the castle hill, the Veste Heldburg, the secondary residence and the hunting lodge of the Herzöge can be seen in the northwest.
- The Schloss Ehrenburg in the east of the old town was the residence of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg. Originally a Franciscan monastery, it was built in 1543, converted into a Baroque three-floor complex in 1690 and the façade was designed by Schinkel in the 19th century. Today, the castle is home to the Coburg State Library. Around 25 historical rooms can be visited.
- The spacious Coburg Schlossplatz in the centre of the town is one of the most beautiful squares in Bavaria. It is also the forecourt of Ehrenburg Palace. It was laid out between 1825 and 184, in connection with the demolition of the commercial buildings of the castle and houses in the old town. Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Peter Joseph Lennhouse were involved in its design.
- West of the Schlossplatz is the Marktplatz with the town hall and Stadthaus. The Prince Albert Monument was a gift from Queen Victoria of England. The Protestant St Morizkirche is the oldest sacred building in the city. Its origin was a Romanesque basilica in the 13th century, of which the remains of the foundations still exist.
- The former Hahnmühle is one of the oldest caves in the city and was built in front of the city at the beginning of the 14th century. Its area consisted of three houses in Steinweg. House no. 68 is the most beautiful half-timbered house in Coburg.
- The Gothic Timbered House „Münzmeisterhaus“ at Ketschengasse 7 is one of the most important Bürgerhäuser in the town. It was built in 1444 as a three-storey residential house of the münzmeister.
- The Landestheater Coburg was built in the 1840s as a court theatre and stands on Schlossplatz. The classicist building contains a hall of mirrors and an auditorium. It is a three-section theatre (opera/operetta, drama, ballet).
... lies in the county of Coburg northwest of Coburg between the Lange Berge in the east and the Gleichberge in the west on the Rodach river. The town has been recognised as a spa since 1999 and has the warmest thermal spring (34 °C) in Franconia, which was tapped at a depth of 652 m in 1972. The town was first mentioned in a document signed by Emperor Arnulf III in 899. In 1362 Rodach was granted town rights and from 1386 it had a town wall. In 1920, the Free State of Coburg joined the Free State of Bavaria.
- The ThermeNatur Bad Rodach is a state-recognised spa
- The Alte Gerichtsgebäude is a two-storey building dating from the 17th century and is located at Schlossplatz 1. It was the Herzöge's cavalier house and the ducal judicial office until 1878.
- The Hunting Lodge Bad Rodach was built in 1748–49 and is the only secular building in the Margrave style in the duchy. Today it is the „Haus des Gastes“.
- The Henneberger Warte is a 30 m high observation tower completed in 1987. With good visibility, the Thüringer Wald, the Veste Coburg, the Banz Monastery, the Staffelberg and the Veste Heldburg can be seen from the platform.
The Rodach is a 42 km long right tributary of the Itz in Thüringen and Bavaria, not to be confused with the Itz near Kronach, the tributary of the Main. Its source is near Hildburghausen. It changes several times between the Heldburger Land (Thüringen) and the Coburger Land (Bavaria).
... lies in the valleys of the Rodach and Kreck rivers in the first part of Thuringia and belongs to the county of Hildburghausen. The area is also known as Heldburger Land. Heldburg was first mentioned in a document issued in 837. The fortress, which was first mentioned in 1317, was a seat of power of the Counts of Henneberg, then from 1353 of the Burgraves of Nuremberg and from 1374 of the Wettins.
In 1994, drilling was carried out which opened up a sulphurous thermal brine at a depth of 1400 metres. The development of Bad Colberg, a district of Heldburg, into a modern health resort began. A clinic with 300 beds and a terrace thermal bath was opened in 1997. Old spa buildings were renovated. In 2016, the Median Kliniken took over the spa facility.
- The old town with its restored half-timbered buildings is surrounded by a 16th century town wall. Sections of the wall, five of the former 14 towers and the lower gate of the former four town gates have been preserved. The Protestant town church „Unser Lieben Frauen“ on the market square dates from between 1502 and 1537, the tower is äolder.
- The Höhenburg Veste Heldburg is the landmark of Heldburg. The castle complex on the German Burgenstrasse towers over the landscape like a fairytale castle. At the beginning of the 14th century it was owned by the counts of Henneberg-Schleusingen and later served as an official seat and court. In 1374 Heldburg Castle fell to the Wettin dynasty. From 1560 onwards, Duke Johann Friedrich II had the castle converted into a residence in the Renaissance style. His son Johann-Casimir of Saxe-Coburg used the castle for decades as a secondary residence and hunting lodge. After 1945, Veste Heldburg was located in the border area and was later used as a barracks and children's home. In 1994, the Stiftung Thüringer Schlösser und Gärten took over the administration and in 2016 the Deutsche Burgenmuseum was opened at Veste Heldburg. It vividly presents the development of castles in the German-speaking world, castle building and the historical conditions and life in castles.
... is a small town in the district of Rhön-Grabfeld, situated on the Franconian Saale at the foot of the mountains, surrounded by the Rhön and Thüringer Wald nature parks. The village first appeared in a document in 741. Excavation finds prove an even older settlement. The town was granted town rights around 1235 when the Counts of Henneberg took possession of the town. The dominion also changed to the diocese of Würzburg. The bishops expanded Königshofen into a fortress. Together with Würzburg, the town became part of the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1814.
In 1896, a curative mineral spring was discovered and in 1931 the spa association was founded, which led to an upswing in bathing. In 1974, Königshofen was designated a spa town and was given the name 'Bad'.
- The Roman Catholic Town Parish Church of the Assumption was built on a previous building as a late Gothic town parish church from 1442 to 1496. The church tower, 62 m high, is the town's landmark and it houses a tower museum.
- The historic old town with the town hall and the remains of the old fortress are worth seeing and cultural and historical sights. Not far from the market square is the archaeological museum "Die Schranne" in the former granary of the Wechterswinkel monastery.
- The FrankenTherme was opened in 2000 and the natural spa lake went into operation in 2005.
- Naturpark Haßberg is criss-crossed with a network of hiking and cycling trails. Numerous castles and Schlösser can be discovered, such as castles of Altenstein and Lichtenstein.
... is a district of the district town of Meiningen. High above the village rise the remains of the Castle of Henneburg, which was the ancestral seat of the Counts of Henneberg. The village and the castle lost importance after the division of the county of Henneberg into three lineages. After the counts died out, the dominion came under Saxon administration in 1583. From 1680, the castle complex belonged to the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen. Since 1995, it has been owned by the Thuringian Castle and Gardens Foundation.