Hiking map Holzland / Thuringia
Hiking map Holzland / sheet 65 with Eisenberg, Gera, Hermsdorf, Stadtroda, Neustadt an der Orla and Dornburg in Thuringia.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-23
The Holzland hiking map shows the large forest areas around Eisenberg, Hermsdorf and Stadtroda in the centre. The eastern part shows the course of the White Elster from Berga through Wuppertal and Gera to the north of Crossen. Triptis and Neustadt an der Orla are cut at the southern edge. In the northwest a stretch of the Saale valley with Dornburg can be seen. The back of the map contains tourist information from the Holzland region.
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible|
|Info's||Map with UTM coordinate grid - GPS-enabled|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Thüringer Holzland is a hügelland in the east of Thüringen (heights of 200-400 m) around the Hermsdorf motorway junction. To the west are Jena and Stadtroda and to the east the valley of the Weiß Elster with Weida and Gera. Due to the meagre Böden, the forest here was not converted to arable land. The main economic activity remained the timber industry. The forest area is the eponym of the Saale-Holzland-Kreis district.
The White Elster is a 257 km long right tributary of the Saale. Its source is in the Elstergebirge mountains östlich of Aš (Czech Republic) and it flows through the towns of Greiz and Gera in Thüringen. Before Gera, it leaves the Vogtland low mountain range and reaches the Saale-Elster bunt sandstone plateau.
The ensemble of the three Dornburg Gorges on the plateau of the shell limestone rock über der Saale has been owned by the Thüringer Schlösser und Gärten Foundation since 2008.
- The Alte Schloss, the northernmost and oldest of the three Dornburg castles, was probably built around 1522 on the foundations of Dornburg Castle, which was badly damaged in the Sächsische Bruderkrieg in 1451.
- The Renaissance castle is the southernmost and second-largest of the three Dornburg castles. It was built in 1539 by Volrad von Watzdorf in place of a manor house. Due to debt, the Duke of Saxony-Weimar bought the castle in 1571.
- The Rococo castle is the middle and youngest of the three Dornburg castles. From 1732, Duke Ernst August of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach had it built for a large army show in the Saale valley.
... is the district town of the Saale-Holzland district and is located on a plateau of the Saale-Elster sandstone plateau at an altitude of about 275 m. There is evidence that people settled here as early as the Stone Age. In the 12th century, the margraves of Meissen had a castle built here.
- Castle Christiansburg is located south of the old town of Eisenberg on a hill. Around 1589 it was rebuilt into a Renaissance castle. In 1680–1707 the Duke of Saxony-Eisenberg had the castle converted into a Baroque three-floor complex and the castle church was added. Today the castle is the district administration office.
- Spät Gothic City Church of St. Peter is located on the north side of the market square behind the Eisenberg town hall. A first church on this site is attested for 1219.
- Eisenberg's town museum is in the Klötznerschen Haus, a merchant from the town. In 1984, the establishment of a town museum began. It shows the town's development from early history to industrialisation.
... is a small town in the Saale-Holzland district and lies at an altitude of between 200 m and 280 m on the river Roda, a tributary of the Saale. The Zeitzgrund recreation area is located on the northern edge of the town.
- Schloss Stadtroda has its present appearance from the years 1663 to 1734 as the seat of the Reuß zu Schleiz. In 1828, the district governor of the Duchy of Saxony-Altenburg moved into the castle as his official residence. From 1900 it was the district administration office and since 1994 the building has housed the Stadtroda district court.
- Evangelical Lutheran Heilig-Kreuz-Kirche is one of the oldest churches in Thuringia It was founded during the colonisation of the Slavic regions. The year 1014 can be seen above the plain main portal. The town church of St. Salvator is a Protestant church that dominates the townscape.
- Roda Monastery was a Cistercian monastery. It was founded between 1228 and 1247 by the Lobdeburgs at Arnshaugk Castle in Neustadt an der Orla. It was dissolved after the introduction of the Reformation in 1534. The Gothic monastery church dates from the 13th century and bears the stylistic markings of the Hirsau and Maulbronn reforms. It was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War in 1638. Today it is one of the largest monastery ruins in Thuringia.
... is a municipality in the eastern part of the Saale-Holzland district and the centre of an association of municipalities. The town's landmark is the large Romanesque former convent church, which was consecrated in 1180. The convent of the Augistine nuns was founded around 1132. After the abolition of the convent in the 16th century, the church fell into disrepair. It was rebuilt in its present form from 1863 to 1866. The eastern part is still original Romanesque, the western part was adapted accordingly.
There are three specialist clinics in the spa town, these are the Celenus Algos Klinik for orthopaedics and rheumatology, the Moritz Klinik for orthopaedics, neurology and burns, and the Fachklinik Klosterwald, a diaconal institution, for addicts.
Dornburg-Cornburg is a spa town in the south of Germany.
... a small town in the Saale-Holzland district of Thuringia. The name of the town Dornburg is derived from what is presumably an imperial castle from the time of Charlemagne. However, it is not clear whether the castle was first built in the 10th century. The reason for building the castle on the Saale was its location at the crossroads of important trade routes and the Saale ford at Hummelstedt. In 937 King Otto I gave all the revenues of Dornburg and Kirchberg to the nunnery of Quedlinburg. Dornburg had a royal palace in which the emperors had been meeting and holding assemblies since 965. In 971 the palace and the church are said to have burnt down. In 1081, Count Wiprecht von Groitzsch received Dornburg and Camburg. In 1357 it came into the possession of the Wettins. In 1918 the Free State of Thuringia took over the Dornburg Schlösser.
Camburg Castle is located on the right side of the Saale on a mountain spur. Originally, the Saale Valley Road or Nuremberg Road ran to the east of the castle. In the second half of the 11th century, the Wettins owned the castle. It was destroyed around 1450 during the War of the Brethren in Saxony. Only the 37-metre-high keep remained.
... is located in the Saale-Holzland district in the middle of the Holzland. It is known by the Hermsdorfer interchange, here intersect the A4 and the A 9. First mention was made here in 1170 an inn, today the inn "Zum Schwarzen Bär", which was built in 1646 on the foundation walls of an älteren hostel. For many decades from the 20th century the village was dominated by the large company Keramische Werke Hermsdorf (KWH). Tridelta AG is the successor company of KWH. The Institute for Technical Ceramics of the Frauenhofer Society is located in Hermsdorf.
... is an independent city in Thuringia and is located in the eastern Thuringian countryside, in the valley of the White Elster and is almost completely surrounded by the district of Greiz. In the west of the city there is a large urban forest area. In 995 Gera was mentioned for the first time in a border document and in 999 the town came into the possession of the Quedlinburg monastery. In 1209 the Quedlinburg Äbtissin appointed Heinrich II „the Rich“, Vogt of Weida, as administrator. In 1562 the Vögte of Gera died out. From 1564 to 1918 Gera was the residence town of the Fürsten Reuß jüngere line. In the 19th century Gera developed into an industrial city.
- To the city museum in the former breeding and orphanage belongören the Historical Höhler under the Nicolaiberg. Gera also has a natural history museum, art collections, the Ottp-Dix-Haus and the Museum für angewandte Kunst.
- The Renaissance Town Hall consists of several cohesive buildings between Markt and Kornmarkt and was built from 1573 to 1575. It has a magnificent portal. The Türmerstube was inhabited until 1939, is now an exhibition space and the 33 m high tower offers a good view.
- The Orangerie forms the western end of the Küchengarten in the Untermhaus district. Since 1972 it has housed the Gera Art Collection, which has also used the Otto Dix House as a second exhibition building since 1991.
- Known historic churches are the baroque Salvatorkirche, the neo-Gothic Johanniskirche, the Trinitatiskirche (Renaissance, neo-Gothic) and in Untermhaus the late Gothic Marienkirche.
- Castle Osterstein, former fürstliches residence castle, was lost on April 6, 1945 during the air raid. Today, only the keep from the 12th century, the wolf's brücke and remains of farm buildings.
- The Haus Schulenburg is an Art Nouveau villa of the architect and director of the Weimar School of Arts and Crafts, the forerunner of the Bauhaus, Henry van de Velde. Today the house is used as the Henry van de Velde Museum and the seat of the European Van de Velde Society. It is also a venue for wedding ceremonies, concerts and readings and houses a cabaret.
- In the district Debschwitz is the zoo. He shows on a ca. 20 hectares großen terrain ünde over 500 animals from more than 80 species.
... is located in the district of Greiz, nördlich of Gera on the Weißen Elster. The village originated from an old Slavic settlement and is mentioned in a document in 1364. There was a castle since the middle of the 13th century. In Bad Köstritz begins the Reußische Fürstenstraße, it leads to the spa town of Bad Lobenstein.
- The Heinrich-Schütz-Haus is the birthplace of the composer Heinrich Schütz. It is now the seat of the „Research and Memorial Heinrich Schütz House Bad Köstritz“. In the house is also a museum.
- In 1543, the first black beer of the „Fürstlich-Reußschen Bierbrauerei“ was served. Today, the Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei produces around 700,000 hl annually. Köstritzer is the market leader in Germany for dark bottom-fermented beers, with a 31% share.
- Gardener Christian Deegen founded the first dahlia nursery in Germany in Bad Köstritz. On the occasion of the Buga in Gera and Ronneburg in 2007, the Dahlia Center Bad Köstritz was opened with a permanent exhibition, a show and teaching garden and the German Dahlia Archive.
City of Weida
... in the district of Greiz is located in the valley of the Auma at its mouth into the Weida. The settlement of the area began around the year 1000. The emperor appointed ministers here as administrators (Vögte). The dynasty of Vögte of Weida are first mentioned in 1122.
- The Osterburg is located on a hill in the center of the city. It is believed that there was a Slavic predecessor castle on the site of the Osterburg. Between 1163 and 1193, the nobles had the Romanesque fortification built. At the beginning of the 15th century it came to the Wettin dynasty. The keep (54 m) is the third highest preserved keep in Germany. Above its second battlement is the Türmerstube. Since 1930 there has been a museum in the castle. The exhibition rooms are located in the Old Castle, in the castle tower and in the Remise, where there is a farmhouse parlor, a Bürgerzimmer and a castle model.
- Eisenhammer Weida is the älteste still functional hammer mill in Thüringen. The hammer is located on the Auma in the district of Liebsdorf below the dam wall of the Aumatalsperre. .
... Is a small town in the district of Greiz on the slopes of the Elster valley. Berga was settled during the colonization of the Elster valley around 1200. A spur castle on the east bank of the Wei;en Elster secured the riverübergang of the road from the Orlatal to the Mulde Valley and Zwickau in the Middle Ages.