Hiking Map Middle Elstertal
Hiking map Mittleres Elstertal / sheet 51 with Greiz, Mylau, Elsterberg, Weida Weiße Elster as well as the Pöhl dam.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-26
The hiking map of Mittleres Elstertal shows part of the Pöhl dam in the south, Zeulenroda-Triebes with the dams and the BAB 72 near Treuen in the west. Centrally, Greiz, Elsterberg, Netzschkau, Berga and Weida can be seen. The White Elster runs through the map sheet from south to north. The reverse side of the hiking map contains tourist information about the Middle Elster Valley.
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS compatible.|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Pöhl dam, with a storage volume of 62 mill. m ³, is the second largest dam in Saxony. It is used for flood protection, service water supply, low water elevation and energy generation. The Pöhl dam was built in 1958–1964 near Jocketa (part of the municipality of Pöhl) and dams the Trib, a tributary of the White Elster. Bathing, navigation, sailing and diving are possible in the reservoir; recreational boats with combustion engines are not permitted. There is a camping site on the western shore.
Town of Greiz
... is the centre of the district of the same name. The town lies in the Thuringian Vogtland on the White Elster below the mouth of the Göltzsch. There were settlements in the valley basin as early as the Neolithic Age, followed by Celts, Germanic tribes and Slavs. The first document about the town dates from the time of German colonisation in 1209. For centuries, the Vügte von Weida and the Fürsten Reußlig ruled here.
- The landmark of the town of Greiz is the Oberes Schloss. It is an architecturally valuable cultural monument. A castle is attested on the site as early as around 1209 and 1225. After a fire in 1540, it became a Renaissance castle. After the Prussian government moved out, part of it was used for residential purposes and the castle became the property of the town.
- The Fürstlich Greizer Park is a spacious landscape park with numerous monuments. It is considered a cultural monument of national importance. It was created after 1650 as a Baroque pleasure garden, and from 1715 to 1769 it was extended to include the orangery and the summer palace. In the 18th century it was transformed into an English landscape park.
- The early classical summer palace in Greiz Park is now owned by the Thuringian Palace and Gardens Foundation. Until 1918, it was the summer residence of the Fürsten Reuß älterer Linie. Today, the summer palace houses the State Collection of Prints and Engravings in Greiz.
- The Lower Castle is located on the banks of the White Elster next to the St. Mary's Church near the town centre. In the valuable interior rooms, the history of the House of Reuß Ältere Linie and the town of Greiz is presented by the museum of local history.
City of Mylau
... has been a district of the large district town of Reichenbach in the southern part of the Vogtland region since 2016. Mylau stretches over altitudes between 290 m and 370 m in the valley of the Göltzsch.
- The Castle Mylau has its origins in the time of the German eastward expansion around 1180. It is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Saxony. The keep dates back to the Romanesque period. In 1367 Emperor Charles IV took possession of the castle. In 1422 it passed back to the Wettin dynasty. After being used as a factory, town hall, etc., it is now mainly a museum.
- The Göltzschtalbrücke northwest of the town of Mylau is the largest brick bridge in the world. It has 98 feet and is a landmark of the Vogtland region. The Leipzig-Hof railway line runs over it.
- The Elstertalbrücke of the Leipzig-Hof railway line near Pöhl über die Weiße Elster is the second largest brick bridge in the world after the Göltzschtalbrücke. The Elstertalbahn railway runs under the 68 m high bridge.
- The Schloss Netzschkau, a residential castle built around 1490, is located in Netzschkau on the west bank of the Göltzsch. It has been completely restored and is run by a sponsors' association. The castle and the permanent exhibition in the castle can be visited from April to October on weekends and public holidays.