Hiking map Northern Eichsfeld
Hiking map Northern Eichsfeld / sheet 53 with Heiligenstadt, Leinefelde-Worbis, Bleicherrode, Bad Sachsa and Ohmgebirge.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-18
The hiking map Nördliches Eichsfeld shows the areas around the towns of Heilbad Heiligenstadt, Bad Sachsa, Leinefelde-Worbis, Dingelstedt, Duderstadt and Bleicherrode. The Dün – Helbetal landscape conservation area and the Ohm Mountains are shown. Information on the sights of the historic old towns of Heilbad Heiligenstadt, Duderstadt and Dingelstedt as well as Bodenstein Castle, the Hanfried castle ruins and Scharfenstein Castle are available.
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible.|
|Scale;||1 : 50 000|
The Ohmgebirgee is a table mountain massif of shell limestone up to 533.4 m high with an extension of about 80 km² and lies between the Untereichsfeld, the Helmetal and the Wippertal. The Ohm Mountains and the Bleicheröder Mountains are located in the Eichsfeld and Nordhausen districts. The undulating plateau of the area is used for agriculture and pasture farming. The steep edges are overgrown with limestone beech forests and limestone grasslands and yew trees still growing wild can be seen.
The Golden Mark is the name given to a part of the Lower Eichsfeld in southern Lower Saxony. The main towns are Duderstadt, Gieboldehausen and Bilshausen. The fertile farmland of the Eichsfeld basin along the Hahle river is well known. Numerous small tributaries of the Hahle develop this landscape.
The Hanstein castle ruins are located near Bornhagen in the district of Eichsfeld and are one of the largest castle ruins in central Germany, about 4 km from the Thuringia-Hesse-Lower Saxony triangle. Until the middle of the 20th century, it was a popular hiking destination for students from Götting.
There is an annual medieval festival on the first weekend in August. Below Hanstein Castle is the Klausenhof, an old inn with a historic lodging house, which was once one of the guests of Hanstein Castle.
Burg Bodenstein is a medieval castle near the village of Winzingerode. It is the best-preserved castle in the Eichsfeld and lies in the Ohm Mountains. Originally it was a border post between the tribal territories of the Saxons and Thuringians and probably belonged to the Ottonians. Later it belonged to Count Otto von Nordheim and until 1945 to the noble family of Winzingerode. At present, the castle is a family recreation and meeting place for the Protestant Church. It can be visited on Sundays and public holidays with guided tours and has a small café.
Scharfenstein Castle is a high medieval castle that was first mentioned in a document in 1209. It is located southwest of Leinefelde and above the village of Beuren on the northern edge of the Düns. The castle has been under restoration since 2006, and in 2012 it received the Thüringer Denkmalsschutzpreis. There are two vantage points at Scharfenstein Castle:
- from the terrace to the north and east into the Leine Valley and the Ohm Mountains and Harz
- from the tower, built in 2016, visitors have a panoramic view.
Lohra Castle Ruin (Großlohra) in the Nordhausen district is from the former castle of the Counts of Lohra, which originated in the 11th century. Many medieval buildings have been almost completely preserved. The double chapel from the Staufer period is significant. Since 1992, the Weimar association „Offene Häuser e. V.“ has been working with the monument preservation group to preserve Lohra Castle and offers overnight accommodation.
The Eichsfeld Borderland Museum is located near Teistungen at the former Worbis-Duderstadt road border crossing. It is connected to an educational centre and a circular hiking trail. The memorial site is located at the Grönes Band nature reserve.
The Green Belt of Europe is a nature conservation initiative that aims to preserve the natural border strip of the Iron Curtain across Europe that was created during the Cold War.
... lies in the south of the district of Göttingen on the border with the Free State of Thüringen and is the centre of the Untereichsfeld in the southern Harz foreland. The land in the Hahle valley is also called the Golden Mark because of its fertile hills. To the north is the Harz Mountains and to the south the Ohm Mountains.
The medieval town is characterised by around 600 timber-framed houses, 500 of which are half-timbered. It is also included in the Deutsche Fachwerkstraß.Sights:
- The half-timbered town hall was built around 1302/1303 and in 1432 the original town hall building with the council chamber, archives and council wine cellar was replaced by a department store extension. In the 16th century, a further storey was added. Three towers crown the north façade and gables with oriels subdivide it. A two-storey arbour was erected to support the north façade. In 1673/1674 a stairway to the arbour was designed with life-size figures supporting the roof.
- Catholic basilica of St. Cyriakus is also called „Eichsfelder Dom“. Construction of the early Gothic church began around 1240 with the west building. Later, the Romanesque nave was replaced by a Gothic one. It is a three-nave staggered hall with six bays. Only after a fire in 1852 was the south tower built. Since 2015 it has been a basilica minor.
- Evangelical church St. Servatius forms the western end of the Marktstrasse. Around the year 1000, there was a royal court on the site, which belonged to the Saxon royal palatinate of Quedlinburg. There was also a chapel there at the time. The oldest part of the present church is the choir from 1370.
- The Westerturm is the last gate tower of the medieval city wall with the city gate. The special feature is the twisted tip of the roof.
Municipality of Walkenried
... is a municipality located on the edge of the Südharz with the districts of Zorge and Wieda. It belongs to the district of Göttingen in Lower Saxony. Until 1990, Walkenried was located directly on the border between the FRG and the GDR. Walkenried and Zorge are climatic health resorts and Wieda is considered a climatic health resort.
The former Cistercian monastery of Walkenried lies in the middle of the town of the same name. The monastery complex includes the ruins of the monastery church and the largely preserved Gothic cloister building. Founded in 1127, the Cistercian monastery was the third in the German-speaking world. The outstanding achievement of the monks was the melioration of the Helmeried, which had been carried out since 1144.
Since 2006, the Cistercian Museum of Walkenried Monastery has been housed in the monastery complex. Since 2010, it has been part of theUNESCO World Heritage Site under the designation Rammelsberg Mine, Old Town Goslar and Upper Harz Water Management“.
... is located on the southern edge of the Harz mountains in the district of Göttingen on the border of Lower Saxony and Thüringen south of the spa town of Bad Lauterberg. The town is a recognised health resort.