Hiking map Osterland with Altenburg
Hiking map Osterland / sheet 66 with Altenburg, Ronneburg, Glauchau, Waldenburg, Frohburg, Zeitz and Schmölln.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-24
The hiking map Osterland shows the areas around the city of Altenburg and in the southwest Ronneburg. In the southeast the course of the Zwickauer Mulde from Glauchau to Waldenburg and in the east the places Kohren-Sahlis and Frohburg are to be seen. In the south the cities Meerane, Crimmitschau and Schmölln lie at the BAB 4. The Rück side of the map contains tourist information of the region Osterland
|Info's||Hiking map contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS compatible|
|Info's||Map with UTM coordinate grid - GPS ready|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Zwickauer Mulde is a 167 km long river in the Südwest of Saxony and its middle reaches are shown on the map. From the town of Glauchau the valley becomes narrower and rocky. In the section, the hills around the valley are occupied by numerous castles.
... is a more than 1,000-year-old former residential town in the east of Thüringen. It is the county seat of the district Altenburger Land. The card game Skat was invented in Altenburg in 1810. The area of the city belongs to the foothills of the Ore Mountains at the transition to the Leipzig lowland bay. In the south the city is flowed through by the Pleiß.
Already about 6,000 years ago there were first settlements in the fertile area. After the Celts, the Hermunduri and then Western Slavs were settled here. Altenburg was first mentioned in a document in 976 as belonging to the diocese of Zeitz. Emperor Lothar III founded an imperial palace here. Under Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, the Pleißland was a royal territory. In 1243 it was pledged to the Wettin dynasty as a dowry for the emperor's daughter. With the Leipzig partition in 1485, the Ernestines received the territory and so it became the Duchy of Saxony-Gotha-Altenburg.
- The Castle Altenburg, a former residence castle of the Duke of Saxe-Altenburg, is located in the city center and in it are the exhibition areas Duchy and Playing Card Museum. The castle was the scene of the Altenburg prince's robbery in 1455. The late Gothic castle church with the famous Trost organ and the late medieval tower complex are sights worth seeing. The festivals and the castle courtyard offer space for cultural events. In 1919, the castle became a museum and the former ducal antiquities chamber was opened. Four years later the playing card museum was added.
- The Red Spires, a double tower of the former St. Mary's Church of the Augustinian Canons, are a landmark of the residential town of Altenburg. After renovation, a permanent exhibition on the building and excavation finds opened in 2013.
- The historic Natural History Museum Mauritiaum and the Lindenau Museum, which houses the largest collection of early Italian panel painting north of the Alps of the art mäzen and Saxon minister Bernhard von Lindenau.
- The Altenburg City Hall is an important Renaissance building in Germany. The town hall is a three-story rectangular building on the south side of the market square and was built between 1561 and 1564.
- The St.-Bartholomäi church is the Protestant town church. In 2011, the Gothic hall church was awarded the European Heritage Seal along with six others in Thüringen out of a total of 22 Reformation sites nationwide.
- The Pohlhof is a medieval free farm. In the main building lived Bernhard August von Lindenau. It was probably built around 1400. Particularly striking on the main building is the decorated Renaissance stepped gable. Today, the Altenburg registry office is located in the house.
The Leipzig-Altenburg Airport
... is a regional commercial airfield 5 km südöstlich of Altenburg at the municipality of Nobitz. The airfield is one of the älteste airfields in Germany. In 1935, the air base was rebuilt in the Leinawald forest. In 1945 the Soviet Army took over the airfield. Until May 1992, the Altenburg-Nobitz airfield was used by the Soviet Armed Forces Group in Germany. Civilian use then began with the establishment of Flugplatz Altenburg-Nobitz GmbH. In March 2005, the Museum „Flugwelt Altenburg-Nobitz“ was founded. In 2009, the runway was lengthened again to 2435 m. The 640 m² large terminal extension went into operation in 2010.
... is the third largest town in the district of Altenburger Land and is located in the border triangle of Thuringia-Saxony-Saxony-Anhalt at the southern edge of the Leipzig lowland bay between Zeitz and Altenburg. Since the 17th century, the town was initially characterized by the activities of the noble family von Seckendorff, but changed into an industrial town from 1860. In the middle of the 19th century, numerous coal mines and briquette factories were built up to Altenburg. Large opencast mines existed until 1968, especially in the west, north and east of the city.
Worth seeing in Meuselwitz is the castle park with the orangery in the rear part of the former park. The castle complex belonged to the von Seckendorff family. The orangery was built in the years 1724 to 1727 with the extension of the castle.
... is located in the district of Altenburger Land on the small river Sprotte. Around 1066 there was a Benedictine monastery in the area, which belonged to the bishopric of Naumburg. Schmölln, belonging to the bailiffs of Weida, received the town charter in 1329. In 1429 the Wettins took over the rule. In the 19th century, the town of Schmölln became known mainly for its button industry. At the same time, new buildings were constructed as a result of the Ronneburg uranium mining industry.
... lies to the east of the city of Gera in the county of Greiz. The village was mentioned in 1209 as the property of the Vögte von Weide and received town charter in 1304. In 1357, after the Vogtland War, Ronneburg became a Wettin possession. Ronneburg has an almost two-hundred-year tradition as a radium spa. In the 17th century, mineral springs were found during mining. As a result of increased mining activities, the mineral springs dried up and spa operations had to be discontinued.
Uranium mining by SDAG Wismut began in 1953. At times, the mines in the Ronneburg area produced 11% of the world's uranium. The town's landmarks were the four pointed cone dumps. After mining ceased in 1990, their levelling began and was completed in 2004. The „New Landscape Ronneburg“ was used as part of the Federal Garden Show 2007.
- The Ronneburg Castle is located on a steep rocky spur in the west of the city. The architectural style ranges from Romanesque to historicism. From 1357, the Wettin dynasty used the castle as an office. Today it belongs to the town of Ronneburg. The front part of the castle houses the town and school museums, which are run by the Heimatverein Ronneburg e. V.
- In the building next to the arched truss hall there is a museum of the history of uranium ore mining and the current landscape transformation.
- The New Barn next to the manor house houses the museum of Wismut GmbH „Objekt 90“. This also shows the history of mining in a modern way.
... is located in the Burgenlandkreis in the south of Saxony-Anhalt and lies on the White Elster about 25 km north of Gera. The lower town is on the Elster and the upper town on the hill östlich of the river. The district borders the Free State of Thuringia to the south. In 967, the Synod of Ravenna decided on the foundation of the Archbishopric of Magdeburg and the Bishoprics of Meß, Merseburg and Zeitz. In 1564 the diocese was dissolved after 600 years of existence. From 1652 to 1718, Zeitz was the capital of the secondary duchy of Saxony-Zeitz.
Since the 19th century, Zeitz has developed into an industrial town. Industrialisation began with lignite mining. ZEMAG manufactured mining equipment, there was a hydrogenation plant, a sugar factory and ZEKIWA prams became famous. Only the Zeitz sugar factory and the Zeitz chocolate factory Zetti survived the deindustrialisation after 1990. The Südzucker Bioethanol GmbH was newly founded in 2005 and operates the largest bioethanol plant in Europe.
- Today's Baroque Schloss Moritzburg, a fortified castle, was built on the site of the king's palace and bishop's residence in the 17th century. The castle museum is located in the residence of the Duke of Saxe-Zeitz, and the permanent exhibition on the history of the city shows furniture from the Renaissance to Biedermeier and Zeitz in the time of the bishops.
- The German Museum of Prams is also housed in Moritzburg Castle and has the largest exhibition of prams in Europe. The permanent exhibition features 380 prams, pushchairs and doll prams.
- The Dom St Peter and Paul was the cathedral of the diocese of Zeitz from 968 to 1029 and is now a station on the Romanesque Route. Since 1666, the crypt of the Zeitz Cathedral has been home to the hereditary vault of the Herzogs of Zeitz. The Fürstengruft is an important monument to baroque burial culture. The father of mineralogy, Georgius Agricola, and the last bishop, Julius von Pflug, rest in the church.
- The Rathaus is located in the city centre of Zeitz at Altmarkt 1 and was built from 1505 to 1509. The three-storey, late Gothic building has a rectangular ground plan and the gable roof has five richly decorated dwarf roofs. On the sides of the house are high stepped gables, which bear a striking resemblance to the central gable of the Wroclaw Town Hall. From 1906 to 1909, extensions and alterations were made to the house and a tower was added to the side.
- In the underground of the old town of Zeitz, at a depth of six to twelve metres, there is an extensive and largely tourist-accessible medieval hollow passage system.
... is a large district town in the Landkreis Zwickau west of the city of Chemnitz. It is located on both sides of the Zwickauer Mulde at an altitude of 266 m and on the edge of the Erzgebirge basin. The place name is of Sorbian origin, which suggests an old settlement. Since 1170 the Schönburger are proven on a castle and ruled here until 1945.
In the Middle Ages tanners, tailors, cloth and shoemakers were the economic image of Glauchau. In the time of the industrialization here was a location of the textile industry. Today, the town is home to a large logistics center of the Schnellecke Group, mechanical engineering and automotive companies. Three kilometers südwest of Glauchau is the VW plant Zwickau-Mosel.
- The Castle Hinterglauchau stands on the site where a castle was built in 1170. Between 1470 and 1485, a spät Gothic reconstruction took place. The double castle complex was created by the construction of the Renaissance castle Forderglauchau from 1527 to 1534, during which the rear castle was rebuilt for the second time. In April 1945, part of the castle Forderglauchau burned out due to shelling.
- Today Hinterglauchau houses the local history museum and an art collection and Forderglauchau Castle houses a library, music school and gallery.
- The Town Church of St. Georgen from the Baroque period of 1728 has a Silbermann organ.
- The Bismarck tower Glauchau is with 45m the höchste Bismarck tower still existing today. He stands on the Bismarckhöhe south of the city center in Glauchau.
... is a town in the County of Zwickau in Saxony. It is the center of the administrative community Waldenburg. The Zwickauer Mulde flows through the town. In 1165 and 1172 the existence of a castle was first documented. The Waldenburger Töpfer received 1388 as the first in Germany a guild letter.
The most famous sights of Waldenburg are the Museum of Local History and the Natural History Cabinet opposite the castle. The castle Waldenburg was built in the style of historicism with the inclusion of medieval parts of the previous castle building from 1855 to 1859. The following „rear castle" and „front castle" were Renaissance buildings. After a fire in 1848, the new Waldenburg Castle was built in the neo-Gothic style.
... is a small town in the Landkreis Leipzig on the border with Thüringen and at the Überggang of the Leipzig lowland bay to the Sächsischen Burgen- und Heideland. The river Wyhra flows through Frohburg. Frohburg Castle has an architectural history of several hundred years. The oldest building in the town served until 1945 as the administrative seat of one of the largest knight's estates in Saxony. Today it houses the town's museum. Worth seeing is also the Töpferbrunnen in the city center
A district of Frohburg is Kohren-Sahlis. It forms the center of the Kohrener Land. The Castle Gnandstein stands in the town of the same name and it is considered to be Saxony's best preserved Romanesque castle complex. The castle was built at the beginning of the 13th century. From the beginnings also comes a 25 m deep well. This received a well house, which was however built over during the development of the Südflügels gothic überbaut. Kohren-Sahlis has become known by the Töpferhandwerk, like Frohburg. The Töpfermuseum is located in a historic Töpferhaus from 1783.