Hiking map Saale - Ilm with Weimar, Jena
Hiking map Mittlere Saale - Mittlere Ilm / sheet 64 with Weimar, Jena, Apolda, Bad Berka, Kahla, Blankenhain, Orlamünde and Kranichfeld as well as the Saale and Ilm valleys.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-22
The hiking map Mittlere Saale - Mittlere Ilm covers the areas around the cities of Weimar, Jena, Apolda, Bad Berka, Kahla, Blankenhain, Kranichfeld, Orlamünde. The landscapes of Mittleres Saaletal from Uhlstedt to Jena-Kunitz and the Ilmtal from Großhettstedt to Oßmannstedt are depicted. The sights from the surrounding area, such as the Leuchtenburg, the Hummelhain hunting lodge and the Oberschloss in Kranichfeld, are available on the back page.
|Info's||Walking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS compatible.|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The middle course of the Saale emerges from the Thüringian Slate Mountains at Saalfeld and Rudolstadt, breaks through the marginal plates of the Thüringen Basin and passes the towns of Kahla, Jena and Dornburg. At Naumburg the Saale takes in the Unstrut. Here it leaves the Saale-Unstrut-Triasland Nature Park. The lower course of the Saale begins from Weißenfels.
The Ilm is a left tributary of the Saale. It is 134.9 km long with its headwaters and drains an area of 1043 km in central Thuringia. The source of the Ilm is located southwest of Ilmenau. It flows through a karst region where part of the water seeps away. Via Weimar and Apolda, the course of the river goes north to join the Salle near Naumburg.
Ettersberg (481 m)
... is a ridge of shell limestone in the middle of the Thuringian Basin, in the urban area of Weimar. Ettersburg Castle and Park are located on the mountain. The Duke of Saxony-Weimar had the castle built from 1706 to 1712. The duchess mother Anna Amalia used the castle as her summer residence in 1776–1780. Her circle of artists, which included Wieland, Goethe, Herder and Musculus, met here.
Since 1998, Ettersburg Palace and Park have belonged to the ensemble „Classical Weimar“ of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The restoration of the castle took place from 2006 to 2008.
From 1937 to April 1945, the Buchenwald concentration camp, one of the largest detention and forced labour camps in Germany, was located on the Ettersberg. Approximately 266,000 people from all European countries were imprisoned here. About 56,000 prisoners did not survive the concentration camp.
From the late summer of 1945-1950, part of the concentration camp became Special Camp 2 of the NKVD. In 1958, the National Memorial Buchenwald was inaugurated. On 5 June 2009, the US President Barack Obama visited Buchenwald.
Cultural heritage of the city of Weimar
... include the Weimar Classical period with Wieland, Goethe, Schiller and Herder, but also the Bauhaus and the National Assembly of 1919. High-ranking artists have worked here over the centuries, such as Lucas Cranach the Elder and the Younger in the 16th century, Johann Sebastian Bach in the 18th century, and the famous German poet and poet Laureate in the 19th century. Johann Sebastian Bach and in the 19th century Franz Liszt, Richard Strauss and Friedrich Nietzsche.
The Bauhaus sites in Weimar and Dessau (1996) and the Classical sites (1998) were awarded the title of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The Weimar Classical period developed under the regency of Duchess Anna Amalia and Duke Carl August at the end of the 18th/beginning of the 19th century. In 1919, the German National Theatre in Weimar hosted the constituent assembly of the Weimar Republic from 1919 to 1933. From 1920, Weimar was the capital of the state of Thüringen.
... is the fourth-largest independent city in Thuringia and lies on the bend of the Ilm River south of the Ettersberg, the highest mountain in the Thuringian basin. It is equidistant from Erfurt in the west and Jena in the east. The äoldest records are from the 9th century. Between 946 and 1346 the Counts of Weimar-Orlamünde ruled the area. After defeat in the Thuringian Count War, the property passed to the Wettins in 1365 and subsequently became the Ernestine Duchy of Saxony-Weimar in 1552. Weimar remained the capital and residence of this state until 1918. From 1920 it was the capital of the state of Thuringia.
The property of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar includes:
- the Weimar City Palace: It is located at the Ilmpark and houses the Palace Museum with a focus on painting from 1500 to 1900. The reconstruction in the Renaissance style took place in 1535.
- the Wittumspalais: It was the widow's residence of Duchess Anna Amalia and a centre of social and literary life in Weimar. Today it is a museum.
- the Belvedere Palace with Park: The pleasure palace is located on the southern outskirts of Weimar. The baroque palace complex was built between 1724 and 1744.
- the Schiller House: In 1988, a new building of the Schiller Museum was erected behind the residence, which shows special exhibitions.
- the Goethe Residence: At the Frauenplan, the residence and death house of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is a museum.
Sights in Weimar
- The German National Theatre with the Staatskapelle Weimar in a neoclassical building was built as a court theatre in 1908 to replace the older theatre. The Goethe and Schiller Monument by Ernst Rietschel, inaugurated in 1857, stands in front of the theatre's portal.
- The Bauhaus Museum shows the art of the early 20th century, with the Bauhaus at its centre. To mark the 100th anniversary of its founding, the new building of the Bauhaus Museum Weimar at Stéphane-Hessel-Platz was opened in 2019.
- The Duchess Anna Amalia Library was founded in 1691. For its 300th anniversary in 1991, it was named after Duchess Anna Amalia. Its oval, three-storey rococo hall is famous. On 2 September 2004, a fire broke out in the main building. This triggered a dramatic rescue operation. Nevertheless, 50,000 paintings and 35 pictures were completely lost, and some 62,000 paintings were severely damaged by fire and water. The damage is estimated at 67 million euros. In October 2007, the Federal President was able to reopen the newly renovated library. Today, the total collection comprises more than 1 million books.
- The Park on the Ilm is the largest landscape park in Weimar. It has hardly been altered since its construction with Goethe's participation.
... is located in the Middle Ilm Valley in the Landkreis Weimarer Land and is 300 m above sea level in the Ilm Valley in the area of the Ilm-Saale-Platte. Around 1233, the archbishop of Mainz had feudal sovereignty. It came into the possession of the Schwarzburgs as a pledge, then to the Counts of Kirchberg and in 1398 to the Wettins.
The Upper Castle of Kranichfeld is a Renaissance castle which belonged to the Princes of Reuß. It lies above the town. Today it belongs to the Thuringian Castle and Gardens Foundation. The castle emerged from a medieval fortress. The 27-metre-high keep has been a lookout tower since 2002. A museum in the palace shows the history of the upper castle.
... is a small town on the Porzellanstra;e in the Landkreis Weimarer Land, 5 km south of Bad Berka. The town has 26 districts. To the north lies the 497 m high Kaitsch with a lookout tower and to the west are the forested mountains of the Ilm-Saale Platte.
- The Castle Blankenhain is located on the site of a former castle. It was built in 1150. After a fire in 1667, the castle was given its present form by the Hatzfeld family from 1680 to 1690. The Blankenhain Castle Association organises many cultural events.
- The Kochberg Castle is located south of Blankenhain. The oldest part of the building is the High House in the southeast, a medieval residential tower of a moated castle dating from 1380. The earliest description dates from 1659. In 1733 the Barons of Stein-Kochberg owned the castle. Through his friendship with Charlotte von Stein, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stayed here several times. In 2012, Kochberg Castle was extensively restored at a cost of 2 million euros. The castle building houses a restaurant and a museum.
- The St.-Severi-Stadtkirche was built from 1481 to 1493 by „Werkmeister Heinrich Geßner“ on the foundation walls of a late Gothic predecessor church.
University City of Jena
... is a district-free and second-largest city in Thuringia and lies on both sides of the Saale between forested shell limestone and red sandstone hills of the Ilm-Saale plateau. The first mention of the village of Leutra and Jena was around 850 in the tithe register of the Hersfeld monastery. The first rulers were the Counts of Lodeburg, then the Schwarzburgs and from 1331 the Wettins. For centuries, the economy was based on the cultivation of wine, woad and hops. Beer breweries were strongly represented. Jena developed into one of the richest cities in Thuringia.
In 1548, Duke Johann Friedrich I founded the High School in the Dominican Monastery to replace the lost University of Wittenberg, and from 1558 the University of Jena. At the end of the 18th century, with the help of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, the university experienced a second heyday. Friedrich Schiller was a professor here from 1789. Subsequently, Fichte, Schelling and Hegel were active, so that Jena became a major centre of German philosophy.
The optical workshops of Carl Zeiss, founded in 1846, gave rise to the precision mechanics and optics company that became world-famous under the Carl Zeiss brand, with the collaboration of Ernst Abbe. They cooperated with Otto Schott's glassworks, which led to the highest quality lens systems.
Large parts of the historic city centre were destroyed by American air raids from February to April 1945. After 1945, many buildings fell victim to socialist reconstruction.
Today, Jena is a city of science with numerous research institutes and high-tech companies. There are currently 17,400 students at the University of Jena, which is the city's largest employer with around 8,600 employees. Other important companies are Jenoptik AG, Carl Zeiss Meditec AG, Intershop AG and Jenapharm GmbH & Co. KG.
... is located in the south of the Landkreis Weimarer Land on the river Ilm. The area is part of the „Mittleres Ilmtal“ landscape conservation area. Bad Berka was first mentioned in a document concerning the church in 1119. It is referred to as a town from 1414. Duke Carl August ordered the construction of a sulphur bath in Berka in 1813. Goethe advised on the construction of the spa facilities and visited the spa himself in 1814. In 1825, a bathing society house was built in the spa gardens. The central clinic was built in 1950 and was extended and modernised after 1990. It specialises in the treatment of orthopaedic, cardiological and neurological-neurosurgical diseases. The Median Klinik treats patients with cardiovascular diseases and diseases of the digestive tract.
The Castle Tannroda is a partially preserved castle on the right bank of the Ilm on the outskirts of Tannroda. The 22 m high round keep is now an observation tower. The rest of the castle houses the local history museum.
A landmark of Bad Berka is the Paulinenturm on the Adelsberg. From the platform, visitors have a view of the Thuringian countryside. The 26 m high tower was built in 1884.
... is located in the middle Saale valley in the County of Saale-Holzland, south of Jena. The village was first mentioned in a document in 876. The castle of the same name was in the today's old part of town 1283 saßen the lords of Lobdeburg in the fortress light castle. After the Lobdeburgs became impoverished, Kahla became part of the county of Schwarzburg. In 1844, the production of porcelain began and Kahla/Thüringen Porzellan GmbH still produces in the town today.
- The Town Wall and the Ackerbürgerhäuser dating from the same time, as well as the late medieval town church of St. Margarethen.
- The Leuchtenburg is a Höhenburg on a 400 m high mountain östlichlich of Kahla. It offers a wide panoramic view of the Middle Saale Valley and the Holzland. In 1392 the lords of Lobdeburg-Leuchtenburg lived in the castle. After the purchase in 1396 it was in the possession of the Wettins until 1918. The Leuchtenburg Foundation acquired the castle complex on October 4, 2007.
- The „Porcelain Worlds of Leuchtenburg“ is a modern museum on the Leuchtenburg. The exhibition shows the history of porcelain in artistically staged worlds. It conveys the history of the material and its importance for the location Thüringen. The exhibition spans the arc from the country of origin, China, to the high-performance ceramics of the 21st century
- The Dohlenstein is a 366 m high mountain östlich of Kahla. He rises about 200 m üabove the Saale valley. Around 1350 there was a vineyard on it. In the centuries that followed, several landslides have erupted, leaving behind an up to 40-meter-high quarry niche in the vertically sloping shell limestone. The weathering of the quarry face has created extensive debris fields. The mountain belongs to a nature reserve.
- The Hunting complex Rieseneck is a monument of hunting techniques and history of the 18th and 19th century. It owes its origin to the passion for hunting of the dukes of Saxony-Gotha-Altenburg, who used the area until 1918. The current facility was built in the period from 1712 to 1735.