Hiking Map Southern Eichsfeld
Hiking map Southern Eichsfeld / sheet 54 with Mühlhausen, Bad Langensalza, Eschwege, Creuzburg, Treffurt as well as Hainich National Park, Werra Valley from Creuzburg to Bad Sooden-Allendorf.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-16
The hiking map of Südliches Eichsfeld covers the areas around the towns of Mühlhausen, Bad Langensalza, Eschwege, Creuzburg and Treffurt. The Hainich National Park and the Werra Valley from Creuzburg to Bad Sooden-Allendorf are also shown. Information on the sights of the old towns of Mühlhausen, Eschwege, Treffurt and Bad Sooden-Allendorf as well as the castles and fortifications in Treffurt, Mühlhausen and Creuzburg and the Werra Burgensteig from Hann to Wartburg are available.
|Info's||Walking map with cycle paths, contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible|
|Maßstab||1 : 50 000|
Hiking and cycling tours
- Distance hiking trail Harz-Eichsfeld-Thüringer Wald
- Grünes Band (border hiking trail)
- Lutherweg, Nature Park Hiking Trail and Eichsfeld Hiking Trail
- Unstrut Cycle Path and Werratal Cycle Path
The Hainich is a forested mountain range (up to 494 m above sea level), belongs to the north-western Thuringian shell limestone plateau and is the north-western border of the Thuringian Keuper basin and farmland. To the east is the intensively farmed Mühlhäuser Basin. The Hainich National Park is the southern part of the mountain range.
Germany's largest contiguous area of non-utilised deciduous forest is approx. 160 km in length. The national park was established in 1997 and covers an area of 75 km, 48 km of which form the core zone. Central areas have been part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2011. The administration is located in Bad Langensalza.
In the eastern part of the national park near the Thiemsburg forester's lodge is the treetop trail, which is popular with nature tourists.
The southern part of the park was a Soviet army tank training area until 1990, and after the disposal of the military waste, a young forest is growing up here.
In the lower reaches of the Werra river crosses under the A 4 motorway at Hörschel, flows past Creuzburg and forms the border between Thüringen and Hesse for several kilometres. It avoids the Hainich to the west, at Mihla it turns northwest towards Treffurt. At Wahnfried it reaches Hesse again. Here the valley widens to the river lowlands near Eschwege. North of the town it flows through the Werratalsee, a former gravel quarry lake. Near Bad Sooden-Allendorf it reaches the Hohe Meiß/Kaufunger Forest. The Creuzburg Werra breakthrough in the Wartburg district begins in a broader sense at the western Thüringer Pforte near Hörschel. Afterwards, the valley widens and forms a small basin. From Creuzburg in the direction of Mihla, the actual narrow valley section begins with its steep slopes, which are strongly divided by small side valleys.
The Dün is a ridge up to 522.3 m high, covering approx. 270 km² northwest of Mühlhausen in the districts of Eichsfeld, Nordhausen, Unstrut-Hainich-Kreis and Kyffhäuserkreis. The shell limestone hills are bordered to the north by the Leine and Wippertal valleys.
The Mühlhäuser plum puree is one of the best-known spreads in Germany, with a market share of 51%. The origin is a recipe of the „Thüringische Pflaumenmus- und Konservenfabrik“ from 1908. In the GDR, it was only Bückware because of the export to the „West“. After privatisation and repeated sales, the recipe was unfortunately also changed. The plum content dropped by 25 %.
... is the district town of the Unstrut-Hainich district and lies on the Unstrut, the left tributary of the Saale, in the north-west of the Thüringen basin. It is bordered by the Hainich to the west and the Obereichsfeld to the north. In the Middle Ages, the free imperial town of Mühlhausen was the second largest town in Thüringen. As archaeological finds confirm, the area was already important at the time of the Thuringian kingdom between 400 and 531. In 967, Mühlhausen was first mentioned in a document by Emperor Otto II.
Seeable buildings are:
- Marienkirche, the second largest church in Thuringia, is a Gothic hall church with five naves and dominates the townscape. The church was built from 1317 until the early 15th century.
- Divi Blasi Church on Untermarkt is a three-nave Gothic hall church. The Teutonic Order began construction around 1276.
- Petrikirche goes back to a Romanesque chapel from 1250. The transition from Romanesque to Gothic can be seen on the northern aisle.
- Nikolaikirche is the most important and largest of Mühlhausen's suburban churches. The first documented mention of the church dates back to 1314.
- Medieval city wall ring with weirgang - Between Frauentor and Rabenturm was a 17 m long and 9 m high section of the city wall, which was renewed in 2018 by dismantling and re-wall.
- Inner and outer Women's Gate, preserved components of the former magnificent street, are aligned with the west portal of St. Mary's Church and in the past served to receive high dignitaries up to the emperor when visiting the Palatinate.
- Mühlhäuser Rathaus lies between Unter- and Obermarkt, partly üüber dem Bachlauf der Schwemmnotte. The oldest, gothic part can be recognised by the pointed arch above the Ratsstra;e. The two-storey gothic building is located in the middle of the town hall. The two-storey Gothic core building was probably erected in 1256 and, like the bread arbour and meat hall on Obermarkt, served as a market hall.
- Monument Popperöder Brunnenhaus consists of the fountain socket of the Popperöder Quelle and the fountain house.
The Pilgrims' Way from the Loccum Monastery (Lower Saxony) to the Volkenroda Monastery, the Unstrut Cycle Path and the Barbarossa Hiking Trail pass through Mühlhausen.
... lies in the valley of the Werra in the Wartburg district directly on the border with Hesse and first appears in 1104 on a document of the archbishop of Mainz. The town has a historic old town centre with many restored half-timbered houses, whose architectural style shows a mixture of Thuringian and Hessian influences.
- Renaissancerathaus, built from 1546 to 1549 on äolder foundations, was extended in 1616 with the addition of the striking five-arched half-timbered tower, which rests on Baroque pillars üabove the double-arched flight of steps.
- Burg Normannenstein, a ruined spur castle above the town, is Treffurt's landmark and was built around the 9th century. After German reunification, it was extensively renovated between 1995 and 2006. The large square tower houses the exhibition Werraburgen über Werrafurten“. In 2008, the restaurant at the castle was reopened.
- St.-Bonifatius-Kirche, the Protestant town church is located in the centre of the old town. The oldest parts date back to around 1230.
... is the seat of the Hainich-Werratal administrative community in the Wartburg district. The town is known for Creuzburg Castle, which lies between the Ringgau in the west, Hainich in the east, Thüringer Wald in the south and Eichsfeld in the north, on the banks of the Werra. In the early Middle Ages, Creuzburg Castle was a favoured residence of the Ludovingians and the preferred abode of Saint Elisabeth of Thüringen.
Creuzburg and its 4 Rathäuser:
- The first town hall, which later became the Latin school, was built north of St. Nicholas' Church as early as 1220.
- The town's prosperity allowed a new, larger Renaissance building to be erected on the market square south of St Nicholas' Church in 1589. In 1765 the second town hall burnt down.
- The rebuilding of the third classical town hall lasted from 1770 to 1825, and it burnt down during the fighting on 1 April 1945.
- Today's town hall in the historicist half-timbered style was built from the heavily damaged Latin school building.
The town church of St. Nikolai on the market square, built in 1215, is an important Romanesque church in terms of art history. It burnt down completely on 1 April 1945 and was secured and gradually rebuilt after 1960.
... is the administrative seat of the Werra-Meißner district in northern Hesse and is situated in a wide flood plain and östlich of the Hoher Meißner. Eschwege has a medieval town centre with numerous half-timbered buildings.
Buildings worth seeing:
- Landgrafenschloss Eschwege in the north-west of the old town directly on the Werra is a three-floor Renaissance building from the 16th and 17th centuries. Since 1821 it has been used as the seat of the district administration. Its construction dates back to Landgrave Philipp I. The Frau Holle fountain from 1930 is interesting.
- New St. Catherine's Church and St. Dionys' Market Church
- Wedding House - a Renaissance building from 1578 with access to the Karlsturm, also called the Black Tower
- Nikolai observation tower (church tower from 1455), highest tower in the city (47.62 m)
Spa town Bad Sooden-Allendorf
... lies in the Werra-Meißner district on the Werra, directly on the border with Thüringen and has existed for about 1,200 years. A document of Charlemagne, which is said to date from 776 or 779, documents a transfer of ownership of the salt springs, salt pans, salt workers, market, tribute and customs of the settlement of Westera to the monastery of Fulda. Bad Sooden-Allendorf is a popular health resort because of the salty air, which is beneficial to the respiratory system. Gradierwerk was demolished and rebuilt from 1999 to 2002.
- Border Museum Schifflersgrund stands directly on the former border between the FRG and the GDR. It houses installations of the border installations as well as a number of historical military vehicles and helicopters.
- Salt Museum in the Söder Tor recalls the almost 1000-year history of salt production.
- „Am Brunnen vor dem Tore“ - At the fountain in front of the former stone gate stood a linden tree, which inspired Wilhelm Müller to write the poem (set to music by Franz Schubert). At the fountain, a 1,000 m long wooden pipe from a mountain spring ended in a Kump (cistern) in front of the southern city gate.
- Diebesturm is a watchtower built in the 14th century as part of the town fortifications. Today it serves as a lookout tower.
- Rothestein Castle near Bad Sooden-Allendorf is a neo-Gothic castle complex in the west of the Gobert hills. The Gothic-style churches of St. Crucis, St. Martin and the Holy Spirit Chapel have their origins in the times of Christianisation, but this cannot be proven exactly.
- Werratal-Therme uses brine water and is equipped with an outdoor area and sauna. The graduation house is integrated into the sauna area to a quarter.
Small town of Wanfried
... on the Werra is known for its historic town centre with many preserved listed half-timbered houses. Wanfried was an ancient settlement. It already existed when St. Boniface came to the area. He is credited with the construction of the church and monastery on the Hülfensberg.
- Keudellsches Schloss, a half-timbered house, is now home to the local history museum.
- Landgrafenschloss Wanfried was a former residence of the landgraves of Hesse-Kassel and Hesse-Wanfried in the west of the village.
- Schlagd, the old Werra harbour with half-timbered warehouses
- Town Hall, built around 1670 as a three-storey merchant's house, is a listed building as a half-timbered house
- Hülfensberg is a 448 m high mountain in the municipality of Geismar in the Eichsfeld district. There is a monastery on the mountain. Since the late Middle Ages, pilgrimages to the „Holy Mountain of the Eichsfeld“ have been carried out.