Hiking Map Southern Harz Foreland
Hiking map Südliches Harzvorland / sheet 56 with Nordhausen, Sondershausen, Bad Frankenhausen, Bad Sachsa, Bad Stolberg and Kelbra reservoir.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-29
The hiking map of the southern Harz foreland shows the upper Helmet valley with the town of Nordhausen and the Kelbra dam in the centre and the Hainleite with Sondershausen in the south. To the south-east is the Kyffhäuser Landscape and Nature Park with Bad Frankenhausen. In the northwest, the Harz foreland includes part of Bad Sachsa and Ellrich and in the northeast Ilfeld and Bad Stolberg. On the back there is tourist information from the Harz foothills.
Information also in the following hiking maps:
WK 25 Kyffhäusergebirge
WK 25 Sondershausen
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle and bridle paths, contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Südliche Harzvorland is defined by the Südharzer Zechsteingürtel in the districts of Nordhausen (Thüringen) and Sangerhausen (Saxony-Anhalt). The Südhänge of the Harz is often a rough grassland landscape with karst rock sections. The red colour comes from the copper content in the rock. From an economic point of view, this was of great importance in the area around Sangerhausen and Eisleben in early modern times until the 20th century due to copper slate mining.
The Hainleite is a 400 m high forested mountain range of approx. 210 km² made of shell limestone. It forms the northern edge of the Thuringian basin in the districts of Kyffhäuser, Nordhausen and Sömmerda. The Windleite is an approximately 50 km² large mountain range between Sondershausen and the Golden Aue near Nordhausen. It reaches heights of up to 374 m.
The Goldene Aue stretches in the Helmet Valley between the Harz Mountains in the north and the Kyffhäuser and Windleite in Süden. Tributaries to the Helme from the Harz are the Zorge, Thyra and Leine. The flat floodplains of the Helme are a high-quality agricultural area. The municipality of Roß is the main town of the Südharz administrative community in the Mansfeld-Südharz district of Saxony-Anhalt. Roßla lies between the Harz Mountains and the Kyffhäuser directly on the Helme River and belongs to the Golden Aue. The castle and the royal pension chamber are worth seeing.
The Harzquerbahn is a narrow-gauge railway with a metre gauge. It connects Nordhausen with Wernigerode. The single-track, non-electrified line crosses the Harz Mountains and is a tourist magnet. It is operated by the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen GmbH (HSB).
The southern end of the Harz Transverse Railway is the Nordhausen Nord terminus. It is located next to the Deutsche Bahn station. The line runs north through Nordhausen and reaches Niedersachswerfen (at km 6) parallel to the Zorge and the railway line to Northeim. After Illfeld (km 10,7) it goes into the forests of the Harz. At Eisfelder Talmühle station (at km 17,3) the Selketalbahn branches off. At Benneckenstein station (km 29.8) the railway reaches an altitude of 530 metres. After the valley of the Warme Bode, the line climbs to 559 m. At the station „Drei Annen Hohne“ (km 46.4) you can change to the Brockenbahn. From here, the route descends to Wernigerode, which is reached after a 60 km ride. Here it is possible to change to the DB.
The Helme is an approx. 81 km long, left tributary of the Unstrut and rises in the Eichsfeld district between the towns of Stöckey and Weßenborn-Lüderode on the Ohm Mountains. After a short course, it flows into the Schiedungen reservoir (Groß Schiedunger Teich – 28 ha). The pond was created in the Middle Ages, and was first mentioned in 1525. The Helme flows on to Nordhausen, parallel to the A38. West of Nordhausen, coming from the north, it joins the Ichte and near Heringen the Zorge. It then flows through the Kelbra reservoir.
The Salza is a tributary of the Helme, only 5.6 km long and rich in water. Its source is located south of the Kohnstein. In the past, it was dammed several times in the city area and drove several mills. The Salzaspring, a karst spring, is Thuringia's strongest spring. The main spring produces about 400 l/sec. of water. water. With all the secondary sources, the total flow is 704 l/sec, the sulphate content is 800 mg/l.
The Wipper is an approx. 92 km long tributary of the Unstrut. It has its source near Worbis and flows north of the Hainleite. The Wipper breaks through the Hainleite between Seega and Kindelbrück shortly before it flows into the Unstrut.
The river has its source at Worbis and flows north of the Hainleite.
The Kohnstein (335 m) is a sulphate karst mountain in the southern Harz foothills with a typical gypsum karst landscape near Nordhausen.
The Mittelbau-Dora concentration camp was a National Socialist camp north of Nordhausen on the southern slope of the Kohnstein near Niedersachswerfen. From 1943 to April 1945 there were about 60,000 prisoners in the camp, 20,000 of whom did not survive. As an underground production site, the 20 km tunnel system was originally intended for the production of fuel, but from mid-1943 it was converted into an R&R factory for V1 and V2 (aerial bombs and rockets). The majority of the prisoners were not used in rocket production, but rather in the excavation of tunnels, the underground relocation of other factories and the construction of external storage facilities in the Harz Mountains. Today there is a memorial site here.
... is an industrial centre on the southern edge of the Harz Mountains and north-west of the Golden Aue. It is the seventh largest town in Thuringia in terms of population. The Helme river flows south of the town, and the A 38 motorway runs parallel to it. The first historical trace is a document from 929 by King Heinrich I, concerning a donation to Queen Mathilde.
Nordhausen was a free imperial town until 1802, when it became part of Prussia. The town was one of the largest half-timbered old towns in Germany. On 3 and 4 April 1945, two British air raids destroyed 74% of the town. The architecturally valuable old town was almost completely burnt down. Today, Nordhausen is a district town on the Zorge in the district of the same name.
Buildings worth seeing are:
- The Nordhäuser Roland is a medieval knight figure at the Old Town Hall. It is the symbol of the imperial city from 1220 to 1802. A copy stands in front of the Old City Hall, the original is in the New City Hall.
- The Old Town Hall was built between 1608 and 1610 in the Renaissance style. In April 1945, the largest part of the building burned down. The reconstruction was completed in 1952.
- Almost all the churches in the town of Nordhausen were built during the Romanesque period. However, the original architectural styles have not been preserved. They are the Catholic Dom to the Holy Cross, the Protestant City Parish Church of St. Blasii, the Protestant Altendorf Church of St. Maria in the valley and the city's oldest church St. Maria on the hill.
- The Flohburg, a Gothic half-timbered house, is one of the oldest and most valuable buildings in the city. In 2012, the Nordhausen Museum“ was opened here.
- The Museum Tabakspeicher is located in the half-timbered tobacco barn (1712) and provides information about economic history such as the Nordhäuser grain distillery, chewing tobacco production and mechanical engineering as well as üabout traditional crafts.
- The house at Domstraß 12 is one of the oldest dwellings in Thuringia with a heavy solid base and a light half-timbered structure. The upper storey is richly decorated and is an example of the Lower Saxon architectural style of the 16th century. Research has shown that the oldest wood dates back to 1303.
- The Finkenburg (also known as Finklerburg) is a Gothic half-timbered house and was built around 1444 as a stucco building with a projecting upper storey on top of an older cellar.
- St. Peter's Church was destroyed during the Second World War and only the tower remained. The Petri Tower is now an observation tower.
... is the northernmost town in Thuringia. It lies on the river Zorge on the state border with Lower Saxony. The district of Sülzhain is 3 km to the north. There are numerous sanatoriums and guesthouses there, some of which are in the forest. The Protestant village church of St. Marien stands on Frauenberg. The weeping church, consecrated in 720, is considered to be the oldest sacred building in the Nordhausen district. The Marktkirche St. Johannis dates back to 950. The Ellrich Town and Local History Museum is located in the rooms of a former hospital building.
Air health resort Stolberg (Harz)
... belongs to the municipality of Südharz in the Mansfeld-Südharz district and is located in the Lower Harz region of the Harz/Saxony-Anhalt Nature Park in the valley of the Thyra, a tributary of the Helme. Because of its many half-timbered houses, the climatic health resort is a popular tourist destination. Stolberg was founded around the year 1000 as a miners' settlement. Mining activity for iron, copper, tin and gold in the area has been documented since 794. Since 1210, the town was the residence of the Counts of Stolberg.
Sights worth seeing are:
- The Stolberg Castle dates from the 13th century and stands on a hilltop above the town. The round tower from around 1200 and the newer parts were built in the Renaissance style from 1539 to 1547. In the south-east wing are the neo-classical large reception room and the Red Hall, designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Since 2002 it has been owned by the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for the Protection of Monuments), which is completely restoring and renovating it. Since March 2008, parts of the palace have been open to the public again and are used as a tourist centre, hotel and museum. Town Hall was built between 1452 and 1454, and two half-timbered storeys were added between 1480 and 1482. Further alterations were made later.
- The Seigerturm is a medieval round tower at the southern, very narrow exit of the market square. It was a gate tower of the city fortifications.
- The Alte Münze is a listed half-timbered house and was built in 534/1535 by the Stolberg burgher and miller Kilian Keßler. In the course of time, it was a mint, a miner's office and a district court. Today, the building houses the Stolberg Museum Alte Münze with a historical münzwerkstatt. The is a listed half-timbered house and was built in 534/1535 by the Stolberg burgher and miller Kilian Keßler. In the course of time, it was a mint, a miner's office and a district court. Today, the building houses the Stolberg Museum Alte Münze with a historical münzwerkstatt.
- The Josephskreuz is a lookout tower on the Josephshöhe of the Großen Auerberg near Stolberg. The tower was erected in the form of an upright Latin cross made of steel trusses. The 38 m high construction weighs 125 t and is held together by about 100,000 rivets. Instead of a similar wooden cross by Schinkel, which burnt down, the steel tower was erected in 1896, modelled on the Eiffel Tower.
... is a spa and recreation resort in the Kyffhäuserkreis. Excavations have provided evidence of the first settlement about 10,000 years ago. Sights:
- Inclined tower of the Upper Church built in the 14th century. The top is 4,60 m out of plumb. Its renovation has cost 1.3 million € since 1990.
- The Hausmannsturm of the 13th century Oberburg is another landmark of the town.
- The Panorama Museum on the Schlachtberg contains the monumental Peasants' War Panorama - painting by the painter and art professor Werner Tübke. The painting was created between 1976 and 1987 to commemorate the German Peasants' War and its leader in Thuringia, Thomas Müntzer. It has an area of 1722 m².
... is the district town of the Kyffhäuserkreis and lies in the north of Thüringen in the valley of the Wipper between the Hainleite and the Windleite. The town was the residential town of the principality of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen until 1918. The town centre is dominated by the Residenzschloss, which developed from a former castle into an irregular four-winged complex. The town hall, the guardhouse and the Trinity Church are important historical buildings in Sondershausen.
... lies on the Helme östlich of the Kelbra reservoir in the Nordhausen district. In 1172, a knightly dynasty of Heringen was mentioned in a moated castle. The owners were the Counts of Beichlingen and later the Counts of Hohnstein. In 1318, they built a castle and town wall with defence towers, a residential tower, a chapel and a farmyard. In the 15th century, the castle passed to the Counts of Schwarzburg, who owned it until 1945. In 2003, a comprehensive renovation began, which was completed in 2014. Since 2015, the castle has housed the town library, a museum, a doll collection, historical medical practices and special exhibitions.
Small town Bleicherode
... lies in the district of Nordhausen to the west of the district town in the Bleichröder Mountains, part of the Ohm Mountains. The municipality includes 5 villages, including Großlohra with Lohra Castle. A few renovated surface installations of the potash works in the townscape are reminders of the hundred-year-old mining tradition. Under the pressure of competition and the decline in potash deposits, underground mining was discontinued. Today, the company DEUSA International GmbH produces chemical products from the brine that is extracted underground.