Hiking map Thuringian Slate Mountains
Hiking map of the Thuringian Slate Mountains / Sheet 59 with Saalfeld, Bad Blankenburg, Rudolstadt, Lehesten, Ludwigstadt, Katzhütte, Schmiedefeld and Oberweissbach.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-31
The hiking map of the Thuringian Slate Mountains shows the course of the Saale from the Hohenwarte Dam past Saalfeld, Bad Blankenburg and Rudolstadt to Uhlstauml;dt. In the south, the Franconian Forest shows the towns of Lehesten and Ludwigstadt as well as the end of the Rennsteig with Neuhaus am Rennweg, Lauscha, Schmiedefeld and Oberweissbach. The Schwarzatal from Katzhütte to the confluence with the Saale is marked. On the back there is tourist information from the Thuringian Slate Mountains region.
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Thuringian Slate Mountains adjoin the Thuringian Forest to the east and border the Upper Saale at the Saale reservoirs. It is part of the low mountain range stretching northwest to southeast with the Thuringian Forest and the Franconian Forest. It reaches heights of up to 870 metres. The slate mountains are often included in the Thuringian Forest. The Vogtland and the Elstergebirge-Erzgebirge mountains adjoin the eastern foothills.
The upper reaches of the Saale, which comes from Hof, form the border between Bavaria and Thuringia between the confluence of the Tannbach and the Selbitz. The river then runs through the Thuringian Slate Mountains. There the Saale is dammed in a five-stage cascade. The best-known Saale dams are the Bleiloch Dam and the Hohenwarte Dam, which are popular destinations for tourists and water sports enthusiasts.
The Saale River is the largest dam in Germany.
The Schwarza is a left tributary of the Saale about 53 km long. Its source is located near Scheibe-Alsbach, northwest of the Rennsteig. The river flows through a varied low mountain landscape with narrow gorges and wide valleys until it flows into the Schwarza district of Rudolstadt.
The Schwarza has 57 tributaries in its course. Its whirlpools in the lower Schwarza valley are a special geological feature. The Schwarza is also the river richest in gold in Germany. The precious metal was washed out of the gravel in the river itself or on the three adjacent river terraces of the Schwarza floodplain.
The best-known tourist destination is the Saalfelder Feengrotten. What makes them so special are their colourful stalactites. Due to the iron- and mineral-rich rock, many different colours can be found. The fairy grottos are the former alum slate mine „Jeremias Glück“ and date back to 1530. The search for iron ore was unsuccessful, but alum slate was mined, which was used in the tanning of leather and in the production of vitriol. The show mine consists of three levels.
The Oberweißbacher Bergbahn has connected the Obstfelderschmiede stop of the Schwarzatalbahn with the community of Cursdorf since 1922. The railway consists of a 1.351 km long broad-gauge funicular railway and a 2.635 km long standard-gauge, electrified adhesion line (friction railway). Both parts of the line are operationally connected and have been listed since January 1982. Every day between 5:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., 30 trips are offered at half-hourly intervals.
The district of Saalfeld-Rudolstadt with Saalfeld, Rudolstadt and Bad Blankenburg forms a large settlement area with a population of about 75,000. This is also called the Saalebogen triangle.
Saalfeld / Saale
... is the district town and lies in the centre of the district. The Thuringian Slate Mountains border the city to the southwest. Worth seeing are :
- the Saalfeld Fairy Grottos
- the official prison „Hutschachtel“. The tower-like circular building was constructed from 1857 to 1859. It was used as a prison until 1950. Since 1973 it has been the city archive.
- The Gothic St. John's Church, built from 1380 to 1514, is one of the largest hall churches in Thuringia.
- The Renaissance building of the Franciscan monastery from the period 1490-1520 is today the site of the Thuringian Museum of Local History. After its dissolution (1534) it became a municipal Latin school (until 1914) and from 1904 it was also used as a museum, a function that has continued to this day. Attached is the monastery church from the year 1293 and 1513 respectively.
... lies in the valley of the Saale, at the „Saaleknie“, where the river bends from south to east. The former princely residence is nestled in a valley surrounded by forest and stretches along the wide curve of the river. The Thuringian Slate Mountains begin to the south and the Hintere Heide (Rear Heath) lies to the east of the Saale.
Rudolstadt was first documented in 776 and has had town charter since 1326. Its landmark is the Heidecksburg Castle. The residential castle of the Princes of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt dominates the townscape. Also worth seeing are :
- Ludwigsburg City Palace, a three-floor Baroque palace built between 1734 and 1741 below Heidecksburg Castle.
- The town church of St. Andreas, a three-aisled late Gothic hall church, which was built between 1463 and 1475 through the reconstruction of an older church building. From 1634 to 1636 it received the baroque interior decoration.
- The Old Town Hall, a late Gothic building from 1524 with a tower, which was added to in 1603. The New Town Hall on the market square was built in 1912.
- In the Rudolstadt town park there are three Thuringian farmhouses from the 17th and 18th centuries and they are the oldest German open-air museum.
- Heidecksburg Castle is the former residential castle of the Princes of Schwarzburg - Rudelstadt. Today, the castle houses the Thüringer Landesmuseum and the Thüringer Staatsarchiv Rudolstadt and numerous museums. As early as the 13th century, a castle of the Counts of Orlamünde stood on the hill. In 1334, the property changed hands to the Counts of Schwarzburg and from 1571, the castle was converted into a Renaissance palace.
... is known as a mountain and slate town and is located in the Saalfeld Rudolstadt district and belongs to the Schiefergebirge administrative community. Slate was mined here as early as the 13th century. The Thuringian Slate Park Lehesten is now a technical monument in the historic open-cast mine with all its unique functional buildings. The area of about 105 ha is partly a nature reserve.
Also worth seeing are the House of the People, a Bauhaus monument with a museum, and the Probstzella border station of the Leipzig - Gera - Frankenwaldbahn - Bamberg railway line. The former border crossing point has been developed as a museum.
... lies between the towns of Sonneberg, Ilmenau and Saalfeld in a side valley of the Steinach. The Pappenheimer Berg (834 m) is the highest point in the municipal area. The manufacture of glass Christmas tree decorations began in Lauscha. This made the town and the glass flowers world-famous. Numerous glass shops and galleries are located throughout the town. Even today, handcrafted glassware and glass beams are produced for the arts and crafts industry. Visitors can witness the production process.
The Museum of Glass Art collects, documents and presents Thuringian glass from the late Middle Ages to the present day. Products such as early forest glass, glass beads, glass eyes, toys and technical glass through to contemporary handicrafts are presented.
... lies in the Saale-Orla district of the Free State of Thuringia, south and west of the Bleiloch and Hohenwarte dams. Worth seeing in the spa town is the New Castle, a baroque complex built from 1714-1718 as the residence of the Princes of Reuß-Lobenstein, and Lobenstein Castle (ruins) above the old town. Two towers are still visible. The keep is 35 metres high. The castle was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War.