Hiking map Vordere Rhön
Hiking map Vordere Rhön / Sheet 52 with Breitungen, Wasungen, Kaltennordheim, Thann, Dermbach and Fladungen as well as the hiking trail "Grünes Band".
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-27
The hiking map Vordere Rhön shows the Rhön Biosphere Reserve. In the east, the Upper Werratal with Breitungen and Wasungen can be seen. The villages of Kaltennordheim, Thann and Dermbach are depicted centrally. Diagonally, the former border area with the hiking trail „Grünes Band“ runs through the map sheet. The Nature Park Hessische Rhön is marked in the west and the Nature Park Bayerische Rhön with Fladungen in the south. On the back there is tourist information from the Vordere Rhön region.
|Info's||Walking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible.|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The Rhön Biosphere Reserve is formed by the core areas of the low mountain range Rhön in the German states of Bavaria, Hesse and Thüringen. The Thuringian part was declared a national park in 1990. In 1991, UNESCO recognized the Rhön as a Biosphären Reserve, which has a total area of 2433 km² of which 1296 km² in Bavaria, 648 km² in Hesse and 489 km² in Thüringen. The main objective of the biosphere reserve is to safeguard the diversity and quality of the Rhün habitat, taking into account the interests of agriculture, nature conservation, tourism and industry. 7,438 ha are designated as core zones, which are excluded from any agricultural or forestry use. Another 53,897 ha have been classified as maintenance zones with near-natural land use. The remaining portion of 181,988 ha is designated as development zones, in which the villages and towns of the Rhön are located.
The Wasserkuppe in the Hessian district of Fulda is at 950 m the highest mountain in the Rhön. On the mountain, also known as „cradle of gliding“, rises the river Fulda and another 30 Bäche. Several nature reserves exist around it. The Wasserkuppe is located östlich of the town of Poppenhausen. From the summit region, with good visibility, the view extends über the Rhönlandschaft away to the Thüringer Wald, to the Hoher Meißner, the Rothaargebirge and the Taunus. On the mountain there is an information center of the Biosphärenreservat Rhön.
The Ulster is a 57.2 km long left tributary of the Werra and it rises in the district of Fulda in the High Rhön. Its source is located in the Biospährenreservat / Nature Park Hessiche Rhön between the Ottilienstein (846 m) and the Heidelstein (925 m). The Ulster flows in a northerly direction largely accompanied by the B 278. In Thuringia it flows past Motzlar and Schleid, flows through Geisa and passes Buttlar. North of Wenigentaft the stream forms a part of the Hessian-Thuringian border. To the north the Ulster flows through the village of Unterbreizbach. In the district of Hersfeld-Rotenburg west of the center of Philippsthal it flows into the Werra.
... is located in the district Schmalkalden-Meiningen in the fränkisch geprägten south of Thüringen and lies 12 km north of Meiningen in the middle Werratal. The village was first mentioned in 874 with Schwallungen and Schmalkalken in a deed of donation to the monastery of Fulda. In the 12th century the market settlement grew on both sides of the Werra under the castle hill. In 1308 the Count of Henneberg-Schleusingen gave the town the Schweinfurt town charter. Wasungen Castle became the seat of an office. After the Hennebergs died out, Wasungen came to the Wettins in 1583, to Saxony-Gotha in 1660 and to Saxony-Meiningen in 1680.
Since the 16th century, the metal craft developed, especially the Büchsenmacher. In 1659 Wasungen became the starting point and regional center of tobacco cultivation, processing and trade.
- Ruined castle Maienluft serves as a landmark of the city. From the keep, the visitor has a good view of the Werratal and the Vorderrhön. Remains of the castle walls and parts of the chapel are still preserved. On the castle hill is a guesthouse.
- The old town has a large number of early half-timbered buildings. Half-timbered houses from the 16th to 20th century, the town hall built from 1532 to 1534, the late Gothic town church of St. Trinitatis, the Judaean tower and the Pfaffenburg from 1387 are grouped around the market square.
- The Marschalksche Adelshof, a defense and residential tower with bower from 1596, which Bernhard Marschalk von Ostheim built in the Renaissance style; and donated as a ladies' foundation. Today, the former collegiate house houses the Wasung town museum, the town archives, the tourist information and the Thüringer carnival museum.
- The Wasunger Carnival is known since 1524 and takes place every year traditionally on the Saturday before Rose Monday.
... is a small town in the Rhön, belongs to the district Schmalkalden-Meiningen and is located in the upper Feldatal. The height ranges from 400 m to 800 m in Kaltenwestheim. When it was first mentioned in a document in 795, the village became the property of the Fulda monastery. In 1145 Kaltennordheim was granted market rights. The counts of Henneberg inherited the landed property in the 13th century. Since 1563 the marriage market has been held in the town at Whitsun. From the original goods market developed the largest folk festival in the Thuringian Rhön.
The fortified church is the landmark of the village Kaltensundheim. It was built in 1604 on a limestone rock from an old castle complex. The defense tower and a 6 to 7 m high wall from 1495 are still preserved. The townscape of Kaltensundheim is characterized by half-timbered houses. Worthy of note is the bakehouse from 1704, in which a village museum über the local history and rural customs informs.
... is a district of the municipality of Rhönblick in the district Schmalkalden-Meiningen and is located in the valley of the Herpf, at the foot of the Gebaberg and Hutberg. The village appears for the first time in 856 in a donation letter of the Fulda Abbey. Besides the Fulda Abbey, the counts of Henneberg also owned land here. In 1323, the Fulda Abbey obtained the granting of the town charter from Emperor Ludwig. Except for the „Hennebergische Freihof“ at the market on the so-called Poppenstein were in Helmershausen fünf knight's seats.
- The Hutsburg was a high medieval Höhenburg on the Hutsberg (639 m), a prominent basalt mountain. It was first mentioned in a document in 1273. It was a robber baron's nest. In 1383 the Counts of Henneberg had the Hutsburg rebuilt. In May 1525, it was finally destroyed by the rebellious peasants in the Peasants' War.
The Hutsburg is freely accessible to visitors, but is closed around the outer walls by a fence.
- The Protestant church is also called the Cathedral of the Rhön. It was built in 1559 by converting a Catholic chapel into a Protestant church with defensive walls and storage barn. In 1736 the old masonry was demolished and a new building was started. 1777 was the außergewnlich große and magnificent construction of the village church in the fränkischen Baroque style completed.
Breitungen / Werra
... lies on the Werra between Thüringer forest and Rhön. First mentioned in a document in 933, the village belonged to the monastery of Hersfeld, later to the counts of Henneberg and the dukes of Saxony-Meiningen. The economic structure of the municipality is determined by smaller medium-sized enterprises, especially electrical engineering and small businesses.
- In the 12th century, a Benedictine monastery was built on a hill to the right of the Werra, the späteren Herrenbreitungen, which existed until 1553. Around 1560, Count Popo XII of Henneberg had a Renaissanceschloss built on the walls of the monastery. The castle is privately owned and is being gradually restored.
- The basilica of the Benedictine monastery was consecrated in 1112. Built of sandstone in Romanesque style, it was a cruciform church with a three-nave nave, transept and a choir loft. In 1993–1994 it was extensively renovated. For reasons of species protection, consideration had to be given to the breeding sites of jackdaws, the largest occurrence in Südthüringen.
- The Rußwurmsche mansion is a historical monument and is üover 800 years old. The building houses the Wolff publishing house, the Thuringi publishing house and the Gesellschaft Kulturerbe Thüringen e. V.
- The first tower on the Pleß is an observation tower (20 m) built of sand-lime brick. It has a facade made of titanium-zinc sheet. Already in 1921 there was a wooden tower here, it lasted only 13 years until a storm fällte him. The second tower could not be used from 1962, because it was located in the border restricted area. The view is a 360° all-round view.
... is a small town in the Ulstertal in the south of the Wartburgkreis. The historical city center is on the Gangolfiberg between Ulster and Geisa. The newer parts of the city are in the rivers. Eleven villages belong to the town today. The area of Geisa with the Ulster valley was inhabited since the early Stone Age. There are finds from the Bronze Age from numerous burial mounds in the upper Ulstertal. The first written records of the town's history date from around 778 to 840. Due to its favorable location on the Ansanvia Mainz-Eisenach road and the Via Regia, Geisa experienced an economic boom as a trading and market town. In 1815, the Geisa office came to the Great;Duchy of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach.
- Point Alpha was one of four observation points of the U.S. Army in Hesse on the border with the GDR and is now the name of a memorial and meeting place on the road between Geisa and Rasdorf.
- Castle Geisa was built from 1700 to 1714 on the walls of a Vorgängerbau. The master builder was Johann Dientzenhofer from the famous Baroque dynasty of builders. It served as a hunting lodge and summer residence. The palace garden adjoins to the east. Öffentliche facilities are today in the castle and the first floor can be used für celebrations as well as für meetings.
Municipality of Dermbach
... lies in the Wartburgkreis in the thüringische Rhön, centrally located in the kuppenreichen Vorderrhön in the middle Feldatal. To it belongören 17 local parts. The village was first mentioned in 1145 as „Tirmbach“ The rule üover the village changed in 1326 to the monastery of Fulda. The seat of the office of the Fulda Äbte was from 1707 in Dermbach Castle. After the Congress of Vienna in 1815 Dermbach came to the Grand Duchy of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach.
In 1707 the abbot of the Fulda monastery started the construction of the Dermbach Baroque castle and in 1717 built a sandstone wall around the buildings and the garden. The castle is a three-floor complex. In 1952 the GDR border police and later the staff of the border regiment „Florian Geyer“ moved into the building. Since 1999, the castle houses the municipal administration with library, registry office and club rooms.
The place was since the 16th century traditionally characterized by the textile industry.
... lies in the Hessian Landkreis Fulda and is a recognized climatic health resort in the middle valley of the Ulster in the nature park Hessian Rhön at about 370 m. Beyond the Ulster, the terrain rises to the Habelberg (718.5 m). The town of Tann was first mentioned in 1197. A castle of the Lords of Tann was built in the 11th or 12th century.The town received market rights in 1541.
- The Castle Tann was built from the beginning of the 16th and 18th century by the lords von und zu der Tann in the Renaissance and Baroque style. It consists of three wings, the Red, the Blue and the Yellow Castle, which are arranged around a square courtyard. The castle has been privately owned by the von Tann family until the present day. The ancestral hall in the Yellow Castle can be visited.
- The renovated city gate of 1557, the former Zenthaus on the market of 1689, the city fountain of 1710, the Elf Apostle House - ältestes Bürgerhaus from the 16th century and the St. Nicholas Church are Sehenswürdigkeiten of Tann,
... is a state-recognized resort in the Lower Franconian district Rhön-Grabfeld in Bavaria and is located in the valley of the Streu. In 789 Fladungen was owned by the monastery of Fulda. During the time of the tribal dukes, the town was in the Duchy of Franconia. In 1335 the emperor Ludwig the Bavarian granted the town charter. In the late Middle Ages, the town was also owned by the Counts of Henneberg and later by the Würzburg Abbey. In 1814, the area finally came to Bavaria.
- The Town Wall from the year 1335 surrounds the old town of Fladungen in its original height. It was built with five towers and 16 turrets. All Türme of the city wall have been preserved.
- The old town has many timbered buildings. Well-known is the former Pfründnerspital. worth seeing are also the Fürstbischöfliche Amtshaus and the Catholic Stadtpfarrkirche Sankt Kilian. The regional museum is located in the historic town hall from 1628. Its foundation was in 1921.
- The Fränkische Freilandmuseum was established as a museum für rural building culture and für dfliche living and economy in Lower Franconia. It preserves old building and housing forms and documents the life of the rural population in earlier times with its historical and social backgrounds.