Hiking Map Western Thuringian Basin
Hiking map Westliches Thüringer Becken / sheet 61 with Bad Langensalza, Sömmerda, Greußen, Bilzingsleben, Kindelbrück and Bad Tennstedt.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-19
The hiking map of the Western Thuringian Basin contains the towns of Bad Langensalza, Sömmerda, Erfurt-Gispersleben, Greußen, Bad Tennstedt and Kindelbrück. The landscapes of the lower reaches of the Gera and the Unstrut valley from Bad Langensalza to Kindelbrück are illustrated. Information on the sights of the old towns of Bad Langensalza and Sömmerda, Ebeleben Castle and Straußfurt Monastery are on the Rück page.
|Info's||Walking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS-compatible.|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
TheUnstrut drains a catchment area of approx. 6,350 km², the Thüringer Becken, which lies in the lee of the mountain ranges in the west and the Harz in the north and thus has only a moderate water flow. The middle Unstrut is the area from Langensalza to Smerda and the turn of the river northwards to the Thuringian Gate at Heldrungen. Tributaries in the middle reaches are, from the right, the Gera, the Gramme and the Lossa. From the left, the Schmbach, the Helbe and the Wipper supply water to the Unstrut. At Straußfurt, a flood retention basin with a storage volume of 19 million m³ has been built.
The River is a river with a high water level.
The Gera is an 85 km long right tributary of the Unstrut. The headwaters rise in the Thuringian Forest near Gehlberg on the Rennsteig and meet in Plaue. It flows in a northerly direction, deeply cut into the shell limestone, to Arnstadt, and then in the widening countryside to Erfurt, where it flows in two arms through the old town. The built-up Krämerbrück ücke over the river is widely known. To the north of Erfurt's old town, the Gera runs through the Groß Rieth to the Geraaue near Gebesee. North of Gebesee it flows into the Unstrut.
The Fahnersche Höhe is an elongated, densely forested, narrow 413 m high ridge of shell limestone in the southwest of the Thüringer Basin. It resembles the Ettersberg 25 km öst and is the second highest elevation in the Thüringer Basin.
... is the second largest town in the Unstrut-Hainich district and lies in the south-western part of the Thuringian Basin along the Unstrut river. To the west lies the Hainich National Park, to the southeast the Fahner Höhen and to the north the Heilinger Höhen. At the beginning of the 9th century, the village of Salza was mentioned for the first time in the land register of the Hersfeld monastery. In 1070, Ludwig the Knight donated the Church of Our Lady in Salza. In the 13th and 14th centuries, the Lords of Salza are documented here. In 1356 Jacobstadt, Neustadt and Altstadt joined forces and formed a joint council. The town received a town wall with seven gates and more than three watchtowers. After 1485, the town and the Salza district belonged to the Ernestine Duke of Saxony. As a centre of woad cultivation, Bad Langensalza was very prosperous. After the division of Saxony in 1815, Langensalza became part of Prussia.
- The city wall around the old town was built around 1365 and once had 24 defence towers and 7 gates. 16 towers and the Lamentation Gate are still preserved. Some of the ramparts have been converted into promenades, parks and gardens. In the old town, the city has numerous half-timbered and stone houses.
- City Museum is located on Augustinerplatz in the old town in the former Augustinian monastery.
- Market Church of St. Bonifacius was built in several construction phases from the mid-13th to the 16th century in the Gothic style. A special feature is the single-hand clock dating from 1612. The 81 m high bell tower is the tallest tower built of travertine in Germany.
- Mountain Church of St. Stephan is the oldest sacred building in Bad Langensalza. Mentioned in 1196 as a chapel, it was rebuilt and extended into a Gothic church in 1394.
- The spa facilities include the Friederiken spring, the rose garden with the rose museum, an arboretum, a botanical garden, a magnolia garden, a travertine garden and a Japanese garden with a teahouse.
... is located in the Unstrut-Hainich district in the western part of the Thüringer basin about 20 km northwest of the state capital Erfurt. The area is characterised by intensive agriculture. There are some sulphurous springs in the vicinity of the town, the water from which has been used as a cure in the spa business since 1812.
A deed of donation from Charlemagne to the Hersfeld monastery is attested from the year 775. Tennstedt is mentioned as a town from the 13th century onwards and was one of the five hunting towns in Thuringia from the 14th to the 17th century. In 1812 a spa park was laid out and the first bathhouse opened. The grand ducal minister Goethe visited Tennstedt in 1816 and spent about 7 weeks there.
- City wall was built from 1448 to 1483 with four gates. Today, some defence walls remain in parts to the west and east. The Osthöfer gate from 1448 with a roof structure from 1579 is today one of Bad Tennstedt's landmarks.
- A defence tower and some small buildings remain from the front vestry behind the church. It was built around 1465 as a prison and today houses the town museum.
... is the district town of the same-named district, about 20 km north of Erfurt and lies in the flat, fertile, intensively farmed Thuringian Basin. In the Tunzenhausen district, excavation remains were found of the former white castle, which probably dates back to prehistoric times. Sömmerda was first mentioned in a document in 876.
The inventor of the needle rifle, Johann Nicolaus Dreyse, was born here and founded the Dreyse & Collenbusch factory with a partner in 1817, marking the beginning of industrialisation in the town. In 1840, a rifle factory was built. After the First World War, rifle production was switched to civilian products. The Rheinmetall factory now produced typewriters and calculating machines. The factory took off in the 1930s with the rearmament. During the Second World War, 14,600 people were employed here, including 6,000 forced labourers. In the GDR era, the factory became a computer manufacturing plant of the Roboton Kombinat. Today, the computer factory is a site of Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH.
- Of the local fortifications, built around 1368, the „Erfurt Gate“ from 1395, which has housed a museum since 1977, and six city wallsürme still remain today. The city wall was a total of 1,300 m long, 4 m high and 0.85 m thick.
- Stadtkirche St. Bonifatius is a late Gothic, single-nave building and dates from between 1462 and 1567. In addition to the Baroque organ, the inventory also includes two gilded altarpieces from 1491.
- The vicarage of the Bonifatiuskirche on the north side of the market is a stately half-timbered building that has been renovated since 1993. It was built in 1589 as an official residence and became the parsonage in 1792.
- Renaissance town hall on the market square dates from 1539. The market square and Marktstrasse were redesigned between 1967 and 1975.
- The Dreyse House has been home to a museum since 2005. The industrial development of the city and the life of the inventor von Dreyse are presented.
... is a rural community in the district of Sömmerda and lies on the lower reaches of the Wipper. At the beginning of the 9th century, Kindelbrück was mentioned in the list of the properties of the Hersfeld monastery. The village was granted town charter by Landgrave Albrecht II in 1291 and Kindelbrück belonged to the Kursächsisches Amt Weißensee until 1815 and then to Prussia.
- Stadtkirche St. Ulrich is a listed church building. Originally it had the function of a market church
- The town hall on the south side of the market is a new building of the building first mentioned around 1500, which was lost in the great town fire.
- Gründelsloch, a natural monument in the town corridor, was created in 1611 as a sinkhole alongside two other sinkholes. The karst spring reaches a flow of 245 l/sec. The lake has steadily increased in size to 40 m by 25 m and a depth of 8.5 m.
- At Bilzingsleben, about 2 km northwest of Kindelbrück, the remains of a resting place of Palaeolithic hunters were found in the former travertine quarry „Steinrinne“. The excavation site is one of the most important sites of the Stone Age in Europe. The first finds in the quarry date back to 1710, and the remains of Homo erectus are estimated to be around 370,000 years old. The excavation site is an excursion destination with professional guided tours.
- On 27 December 2014, a sinkhole occurred at the Teichholzmühle near Bilzingsleben. A pond with a diameter of over 20 m and a depth of 9-12 m was formed. The spring brings 30 to 40 l/sec. Water.
... belongs to the Kyffhäuserkreis, lies at the foot of the slope of the Hainleite and is flowed through by the Helbe and its tributaries. Numerous archaeological finds bear witness to the settlement of the area in prehistoric times. In 1858, a valuable find was made in a wooden shaft near Greußen, consisting of six Germanic vessels dating from around 200 AD.
- Castle Grüningen became famous through the early Romantic writer Novalis, who met his later fiancée Sophie von Kühn here in 1794. He preserved her memory in many of his works after her early death in 1797. A medallion with a picture of Sophie is embedded in the wall of St. Peter's Church in Grüningen. The nursing home „Schloss Sophie von Kühn“ is used by the Novalis Diakonie Society. Events of the Novalis Society as well as literature evenings and concerts are held here.
- The Archäological Open Air Museum Funkenburg, a reconstruction of a Germanic fortified settlement, is located on a mountain spur on the outskirts of Westgreußen. Excavations were carried out on this settlement from 1974 to 1980. The Funkenburg existed from 200 BC to AD 50. The fortified settlement was fortified with palisades, ramparts and ditches. From 1992 to 1999, the fortifications of the outer and main castle were partially reconstructed on the original site. The castle and its surroundings are excellently suited for the presentation of Iron Age cultural groups. It is a centre for experimental archaeology in Thuringia. Activities such as pottery, baking, spinning, dyeing, weaving, net making or archery are offered as part of active programmes.