Hiking map Western Thuringian Forest
Hiking map Westlicher Thüringer Wald / Mittleres Werratal sheet 55 with Vacha, Gerstungen, Bad Salzungen, Waltershausen and Heringen.
Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays
- Order number: WKT-28
The hiking map of the Western Thuringian Forest shows the villages of Waltershausen, Friedrichsroda and Tambach-Dietharz in the east. In the north are the Hörsel Mountains and Eisenach. The western part shows the Werratal and Ulstertal valleys with the towns of Vacha, Heringen, Gerstungen and the southern boundary in the upper Werratal valley with Breitungen, Bad Salzungen and Merkers. The Thuringian Forest with Bad Liebenstein, Ruhla and Brotterode cuts diagonally through the hiking map. The reverse side of the map contains tourist information from the Western Thuringian Forest.
Information also in the following hiking maps:
- Hiking map Ruhla
- Hiking map Eisenach
- Hiking map Inselsberg with Friedrichroda and Tabarz
- Hiking map Bad Liebenstein & Brotterode
|Info's||Hiking map with cycle paths contains UTM coordinate grid and is GPS compatible.h|
|Scale||1 : 50 000|
The elevations of the Western Thuringian Forest reach a maximum of 470 m and only slightly exceed the southwestern Buntsandstein foreland. The best-known elevations are the Wartburgberg and the gorges to the east. To the north and east, the natural area is bordered by the Hörsel, Erbstrom and Mosbach rivers and the federal highway 19. In the south it is the streambed of the Elte, which rises near Etterwinden and flows into the Werra near Lauchröden.
Coming from Meiningen, the Werra flows through Breitungen. In Bad Salzungen it changes direction to the west. At Dorndorf the Felda, flowing in from the Rhön, and at Vacha and Philippsthal the Ulster flow into the Werra.
In Philippsthal, the river reaches Hesse for the first time and swings northeast again behind the mouth of the Ulster, reaching Heringen in Thuringia to the north. At Gerstungen it flows eastwards to the Richelsdorfer Berge and eastwards at Herleshausen, forming the border between Thuringia and Hesse. The BAB 4 runs parallel to the Werra river valley. At Hörschel, the Hörsel flows in from the east and the Werra passes under the motorway bridge and reaches Creuzburg.
... is a spa and district town of the Wartburgkreis at the middle reaches of the Werra between the Thüringer Wald and the Rhön and is surrounded by a forested hill and with agriculturally used valleys and plains. In 841 the monastery of Fulda owned Salzungen. In the 12th century ruled the counts of Henneberg. From 1680 to 1918/1920 the town was in the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen. Already in prehistoric times there was salt extraction here and in the 14th century it was so monotonous that there were privileges for the Pfännerschaft. Already in the 16th century the use of the salt springs as a remedy and acidulous fountains appeared. The first bathhouse was built in 1821.
- The City Hall was built in 1289, expanded in 1506 and burned down in 1640. In subsequent years it was rebuilt and in 1647 the town hall tower rose. A town fire destroyed the town hall again in 1786 and significant parts of the old town. The current town hall built mane 1790 with the inclusion of the old basement gewölbes as a three-storey building.
- The Aktiengesellschaft Saline und Solbad erects a building with waiting and dressing rooms. The half-timbered house in Swiss style is connected to the graduation house by an arcade. On the east wall it houses the Bad Salzung Tourist Information and the Museum am Gradierwerk.
- The Snipe Castle already existed in the Middle Ages in Salzungen. After the city fire in 1786, it had to be partially demolished. On the foundation walls of the castle a castle was built, today the district court, and the Salzungen town church.
- The Castle Wildprechtroda in the district of the same name, built in the 16th century in Renaissance style bought back in 1996 Otto von Butler and renovated it. The monument is not accessible to the public. Only the hall can be used für celebrations.
... is a district of the Krayenberggemeinde in the Wartburgkreis and is located on the northern edge of the thüringische Rhön. In the north is the 431 m high Krayenberg. Merkers is a younger place, in 1308 a mill is mentioned as a property of the Frauensee monastery. Industrialization began in 1878 with the meter-gauge field railroad from Bad Salzungen to Merkers. In 1910, a shaft for potash mining was put into operation, and in 1925 the Merkers potash plant opened for production. Under the Fördergebiet are about 240 million years old deposits of a Zechstein sea, whose rock salt layers are between 20 and 150 m thick.
In May 1945, gold of the Reichsbank, money and art treasures, which were hidden in the mine, were discovered by the U.S. Army. General Eisenhower then visited the site and the mine.
- The Experience mine Merkers is a modern show mine. To the former salt mine belongören the shafts Kaiseroda I-III. Kali-Werra AG merged with Kali und Salz GmbH in 1993, which ceased mining in Merkers in favor of the Unterbreizbach plant in the same year. On an approximately 21-kilometer underground tour on team cars, visitors learn details about potash salt mining and can visit a salt mining museum. The tour of the mine takes about two to three hours and takes place at a depth of about 500 meters. The Merkers Adventure Mine belongsört to the European Route of Industrial Heritage.
Municipality of Gerstungen
... is the flächengrößte and most populous municipality of Thüringens in the Wartburgkreis and is located directly on the border with Hesse between the Richelsdorfer Mountains in the west and the nature park Thüringer Forest and is flowed by the Werra. In 1074, the negotiations for the Peace of Gerstungen between the rebellious Saxon and Thuringian nobility and King Henry IV took place here. Gerstungen station was the third largest border station on the border between the GDR and the FRG from 1963 to 1990.
- The Ruine Brandenburg on the castle hill was already settled in the Iron Age. The dynasty of the Counts of Wartburg, administrators of the Ludovingians on the Wartburg, are documented since 1138. At least since the beginning of the 14th century, there were two independent fortifications on the castle hill, which were called Niederburg and Oberburg or Westburg and Ostburg. The Westburg was abandoned in the mid-16th century and the Ostburg after 1650.
In 1994, ownership was transferred to the Thuringian Foundation Schlösser und Gärten, which took over the preservation of historical monuments. The Brandenburgverein took over the management and development of the castle for visitors with the establishment of a museum in the bower.
- The Protestant Katharinenkirche stands on the high bank of the Werra immediately adjacent to the former moated castle, now the castle. The church – castle ensemble is a landmark of the municipality.
- The Castle Gerstungen was built in the 17th / 18th century on the walls of the älteren water castle. The upper floor is a half-timbered building from 1796.
... is a city in the Wartburgkreis directly on the border with Hesse in the Werra Valley on the northern edge of the Rhön. Südlich is the Öchsenberg (627 m), also called Öchsen. The former village is mentioned for the first time in a register of the Fulda monastery between 1155 and 1165. In the 12th century, the construction of a town wall and Wendelstein Castle was begun to protect the Werraübergang. The industrial modern age began with the railroad connection in 1879. In the east of the town some factories and numerous new buildings were built. From 1945 Vacha was located directly on the inner-German border.
- The Castle Wendelstein as a city castle built on the northern edge of the old town about 100 m from the Werra, should protect the access to the Werrabrücke. Its first construction took place around 1294. The castle complex was also part of the town fortification. In the bower of the castle on the occasion of the 800th anniversary in 1986, the local history museum Vacha was established.
- The 225 m long Werrabrbrücke consists of natural stone masonry with eleven Bögen in the foreland and three Bögen über der Werra. In 1186 the first bridge was built as a river crossing of the Via regia. üchanges and repairs were made in 1696, 1753 and 1802 to 1806. In the spring of 1945, two Bögen were blown up and the reconstruction took place in 1950/1951 of reinforced concrete with sandstone facing.
- The Town Hall of Vacha is located in the house Widmarckt since 1911. The half-timbered building in the Hessian style was built in 1613 for the landgräflichen Amtmann Widmarckter. In 1910 it received an extension. A restoration took place in 1923.
... is a district of the municipality of Dermbach in the Wartburgkreis and is located in the valley of the Felda, the left Werra tributary. Südöstlich of the city rises the volcanic cone Baier (714 m). Around 1125 the Hersfeld monastery ordered the construction of a castle. In 1326 the owners had to sell it to the Fulda Abbey. The von Boyneburg-Lengsfeld family lived in the castle of Stadtlengsfeld until 1945. Territorially it belonged to the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen.
Lengsfeld Castle in the Felda Valley was initially a moated castle. In 1600, conversions to the castle began and at the beginning of the 19th century, another reconstruction took place. Today it is privately owned and is a clinic for psychotherapeutic and psychosomatic rehabilitation.
... is a municipality in the Werra-Meißner-Kreis of the German state of Hesse on the border with Thüringen, on the edge of the Werratal-Meißner-Kaufunger Wald Geo-Nature Park and the Thüringer Wald Nature Park. To the south the municipal territory is bordered by the Werra River. The former village was owned by Kaufungen Monastery in 1019, remained until 1527, then came to Landgrave Philipp I and after the division of inheritance to Hesse Kassel. Herleshausen became known after 1952 the border crossing Wartha/Herleshausen was established.
- The Castle „Augustenau arose from the castle "Steinstock" (built in 1539), which was previously the Herleshausen estate. After the abolition of the monasteries with the Reformation, Philip I gave the estate to Georg von Reckrodt. In 1678 the castle and manor of Herleshausen fell back to the Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel as a settled fief. Thus it came to the line Hessen-Philippstal.
- Hohenhaus is an estate with castle in the village of Holzhausen, district of Herleshausen. A former horse stable and the coach house was gutted from 1982 and converted into a modern hotel building while preserving the historic facade with the castle. The expansion to the hotel is counted as an architecturally exemplary building.
... lies in the County of Hersfeld-Rotenburg on the state border with Thüringen on the Werra. In the west the Seulingswald, in the east the Thüringer Wald and in the south the Rhön extend. The monastery of Fulda owned Heringen around 1153 and lent it to Heinrich von Heringen. In 1893, potash salt was found on the Werra for the first time. The Wintershall potash plant, now Kali + Salz AG, began mining in 1903. The mine has today über the largest mining area of potash in the world and reaches an area of about 312 km².
- The Werra-Kalibergbaumuseum and the rock salt overburden „Monte Kali“
- The Castle Philippsthal, south of Heringen, is located in the Hessian municipality of the same name. The Baroque residence was built by the Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal from 1685 to 1735 on the abolished hersfeld monastery Kreuzberg.